Notices

our biggest challenge

Old 12-30-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

our biggest challenge

I think the biggest obstacle to our recovery is the box we put ourselves in. I know for me that fear keeps me stuck and that fear contributes to my drinking. Fear of changes and trying new things just contributes to a life that is less satisfying than it could be. Sometimes, it takes a belief in yourself to move forward. Most of the time the fear I had was unwarranted. Things almost always turns out for the better, but always better than if I didn't try in the first place. I am off to a new adventure. I don't know what the future holds but I am looking forward to the change. If it doesn't work out, I know I will be fine. John
Old 12-30-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice post John all the best with 2017
Old 12-30-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for the encouragement.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Lnx

Agree!! :-)
Old 12-31-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Change can definitely be a challenge but it can be the other way around as well, desire for new experiences that can equally feed obsessions and addictions. For me, one of the best aspects of my recovery has been becoming more content and stably satisfied with what's known and routine in my life. I've had this intense novelty seeking feature in my whole life... so taking risks and trying new things are not only not difficult but tend to cause obstacles in my personal development if I don't pay conscious attention to it. I don't expect or want to lose this feature and don't think it would be possible anyway as I believe the kind of desire for novelty I have is a character trait (probably inborn and definitely very stable). What I need to do is to be sensible as to where and how much it is worth stirring my life for the sake of curiosity, excitement and challenge. By default, I tend to love feeding those more than my needs for security and stability. I think a healthy balance is best to combine both.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post John!!
Old 12-31-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Happy New Year and All the Best to you in 2017, John.