Notices

look back look up

Old 12-26-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
OX

look back look up

Checking in.
Will feel quite good changing the wall calendar from 16 to 17 for many reasons. Who knows what the new year shall bring, but for a while there may be the innocent hope of something grand.
For me, I aim for a completely sober 2017. For what I can control in this crazy- gone world, sobriety will be of upmost importance. I'm ending the year sober, and with more sober days over 2016 than drinking days which is a step in the right direction. Had 6 months strung together at one point but that was lost for reasons that haven't justified the slide back into the crappy bottles. That was October and that has followed a mix of drinking and quitting.
My grand plan was to quit after a grand depart over Christmas. Always giving myself one more party. Strangely enough I ended my drinking a day early since I did such a number on myself. Even with a day filled with drinking on the calendar, I quit because I had enough. Physically ill and emotionally beat, I decided to call it with full bottles at the ready.
So Just getting through these first few days and making my plans for the upcoming year. Read through many posts here, on and off all year. Never much of a poster. Looking back at my own posts, it's sad to see that I could post the same thing today that I wrote december 2014. Two years. two calendars. Haven't made any progress. Doesn't do me too well getting down. Time to get on...
thanks for all the support here. it isn't easy. looking at two days and building on and on.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm just glad you're back BigShoe. You can totally make 2017 your year, starting now

Maybe be a little bit more of a poster - can't hurt?

D
Old 12-26-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bigshoe,
I stopped and started a ton of times. I learned a little each time. I've found posting here everyday if I can, even it's to say hi to someone new or congratulate someone on a sobriety milestone really helps. I think it reinforces my sobriety everyday. I know you can do it. You need to stick to your plan and be strong. Wishing you the best my friend.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome back, Bigshoe!

Here's a couple good threads to join:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-192-a.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-8.html

Read around and post often!
Old 12-26-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
OX

Thanks cold fusion. Love orcas. Been trying to get back to mt.constitution again.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Two days is awesome, Bigshoe! I hope this is the beginning of a permanent sobriety!
Old 12-26-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope you stick around BigShoe good to see you back
Old 12-27-2016, 12:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

One day at a time BigShoe. It does get easier. Somehow we do learn. Before another relapse something in our brains recalls that if you do drink again it will be the same old path that we have taken again and again and again. So in your first days of sobriety take a good look around at the old path you have taken. Say 'good-bye" and 'no more'. And begin anew.
When tempted to drink again I picture in my mind that old path...the way it would distroy me and what I have worked for. I actually pretend that I am there. Sick, lost, feeling disappointed in myself, angry at my weakness...like a bad dream. Then return to my new path grateful I have chosen to remain on the sober path. And I keep on, keepin' on!!
We are all happy you are back! Keep posting! ♡CR
Old 12-27-2016, 12:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and posting Bigshoe. I will have one year on January 1st, but I joined back in 2012. It took me a while to stop attempting moderation. 2016 will be my first year completely sober in a very long time, and posting and reading here daily helped that to happen. I know you will be able to say the same atear from now, and I'm looking forward to reading about your journey along the way!

You've got this!
❤️ Delilah
Old 12-27-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by BigShoe View Post
Looking back at my own posts, it's sad to see that I could post the same thing today that I wrote december 2014. Two years. two calendars. Haven't made any progress.
If you don't want the coming year to be a repeat of previous years, don't repeat the things that didn't work the last times. Get the support you need. Make the changes in your life to support a sober lifestyle. And if you can't do it on your own, there are structured programs of recovery that can help.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bigshoe-

glad you posted. Having more sober days than drinking days in 2016 is a good start. It shows that you can do it if you put the work in.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BigShoe View Post
Checking in.
Will feel quite good changing the wall calendar from 16 to 17 for many reasons. Who knows what the new year shall bring, but for a while there may be the innocent hope of something grand.
For me, I aim for a completely sober 2017. For what I can control in this crazy- gone world, sobriety will be of upmost importance. I'm ending the year sober, and with more sober days over 2016 than drinking days which is a step in the right direction. Had 6 months strung together at one point but that was lost for reasons that haven't justified the slide back into the crappy bottles. That was October and that has followed a mix of drinking and quitting.
My grand plan was to quit after a grand depart over Christmas. Always giving myself one more party. Strangely enough I ended my drinking a day early since I did such a number on myself. Even with a day filled with drinking on the calendar, I quit because I had enough. Physically ill and emotionally beat, I decided to call it with full bottles at the ready.
So Just getting through these first few days and making my plans for the upcoming year. Read through many posts here, on and off all year. Never much of a poster. Looking back at my own posts, it's sad to see that I could post the same thing today that I wrote december 2014. Two years. two calendars. Haven't made any progress. Doesn't do me too well getting down. Time to get on...
thanks for all the support here. it isn't easy. looking at two days and building on and on.
Your here and your not giving up that's what counts
Old 12-27-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

No, it isn't easy but you can do it. Making a plan is a great idea and getting rid of the alcohol in the house would be a good start. I hope you continue to read and post.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
OX

Grateful for all the kindness. This really is a special place.
I do go back and forth in my mind on why I need to come here or use any program at all. I would love to just not drink and move on. But alcohol is bigger and trickier than it seems. And looking at the numbers, I'm obviously not the only one feeling down or swindled. Not alone in letting time slide by sliding down the bottle. I will take today and build confidence for tomorrow
Old 12-27-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back BigShoe!!
Old 12-27-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you BigShoe