Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Meetup's for Locals who want sober fun with other like minded people?

Notices

Old 12-21-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was wondering if you think there is interest in meeting others going through similar difficulties, to get together and socialize doing activities that don't involve alcohol. Obviously, alcohol is everywhere, but in a group setting with other sober minded folks, I was thinking about starting a local group scheduling activities for sober fun? Would anyone be interested in such a group if it were available in your town? I thought what a great way to make new friends and build a supportive community with people who know they don't want to drink but still go out and have some sort of social life.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's a fine idea, sd. Why don't you give it a go? Let me know.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

If it were in my town I'd definitely be interested. The vast majority of my friends' social meetups revolve around drinking, and although I know I can still go to those events and just not drink, it would be nice to find people to hang out with in my area. My city in the UK is kinda seen as a 'party city' so its quite rare you meet a fellow non drinker!
Old 12-21-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In the UK there is something called Meet Up where groups can be set up exactly for that kind of thing. I've just started following my local groups to see what is available already. I've also had a few conversations with ladies at my church who have thought something like that would be good as a church fellowship kind of thing. There are def more and more people who want a social life that stretches beyond the whole clubbing and pubbing party routine,
Old 12-21-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Bringing Back B. My dad is from Blackpool, although been in Cali since 1968, but my cousins lived in Uffington, a small village close to Wantage, which had or still has more pubs per square mile in all of England. Maybe that was an old wives tale as I don't remember that many in the town center. I know what you mean. Football matches, Sporting events, Karaoke or live music events are all centered around the drink and of course you don't have to drink. But making new friends who are "all in this together" so to speak would be refreshing.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did do a Meetup Called Sober and Sane in San Diego, but I started it too quickly while I was living in another city and in transition. I did get around 32 people that showed interest. But nothing came of it. I was looking for renewed interest since you have to pay 87 bucks to Administrate your own MeetUp site. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just looked, and actually Meetup.com is international. Loads of countries on there. Might be worth taking a looksie at what's on there for your areas.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Just looked, and actually Meetup.com is international. Loads of countries on there. Might be worth taking a looksie at what's on there for your areas.
And if you initiate a meetup, you can even determine or suggest what sort of activity, which could provide an opportunity even for meeting like-minded people beyond the topic of recovery.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

It sounds like meetings could be just the thing your looking for ?
Old 12-21-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Yea, sounds like AA to me! Tons of like minded people helping each other through life with fellowship and activities.