Notices

first day...

Old 12-14-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first day...

Hi, new here... don't really know why in posting but I'm feeling extra horrible about myself. I was dead set on quitting. Made it through Monday but I usually drink every other day. I was so set on making it through Tuesday but I clearly didn't. Instead of waking up at a normal time and being proud I made it through the second day, I woke up after 11 not remembering going to bed and feeling awful. I haven't had a hangover like this in so long... actually I don't even get hangovers anymore. I am crying as I type this because I want to stop drinking so badly. I never thought it could be this hard. I feel like the first week will be the hardest for me. Any advice on getting through it?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Join the Class of December thread. It's full of people posting who all quit this month. (Myself included). Drink plenty of water and hope you feel better. You can do this!
Old 12-14-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

I spent years thinking I'd never get to 'that point'. And then some years 'at the point' and convincing myself that it was too hard , so 'whats the point'.

When I stumbled on SR . I saw mention of RR/AVRT ( great threads on these ideas here in the Secular Connections forums) and got a much better perspective on ' the point of it all'.

You can definitely do this , proof being I am able to.

It's a simple solution , albeit a possibly hard one , at first, but definitely doable, wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 12-14-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Mblake I've been where you are now & the good news is your around a lot of people who get it don't beat yourself up its not easy but let's focus on the next 24h and we can take it from there

In the meantime if you have any questions fire away there is wisdom & all sorts of good advice here

Stick around get to know the site & most importantly please realise you don't have to do this alone
Old 12-14-2016, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, mblake; so glad you found us.

SR is a fantastic place for support, understanding and encouragement.

CutNGayYay made a great suggestion; here is the link to the thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-thread.html
Old 12-14-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here are links to a couple of other threads you might want to check out:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-188-a.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...highlight=psst

Again, welcome, mblake.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. I just checked into the Dec 2016 thread. It's nice to not feel so alone in all this. 😊
Old 12-14-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm new here also, nearing my first month. I tried for a couple years to quit on my own (I'm also an alcoholic, but my most recent drug of addiction is opiates) but I finally realized that my only hope was to ask for help. Trying on my own was not going to work and my addiction was lying to me by making me think that asking for help was weak, that I should be embarrassed, and that there was nobody that would understand.

Spending alot of time on SR finally gave me the courage I needed to admit my addiction to my loved ones and find a doctor and counselor. It was so scary at first, but then it became so freeing to not have to lie and to start being able to tell when I was being deceived by my addiction.

Reading about AVRT gave me alot of insight and helped me understand addiction in a way that I never had.

You can quit. If your desire to quit is more than your desire to drink, then with support it is completely possible to be freed by the evil lies your addiction is telling you.

I've found so many kind and knowledgeable people on SR. I found so much strength in their advice and their own stories of recovery. You've done the first step by admitting that you have a problem and by saying you want to quit. Don't be ruled by guilt, ask for help and you can do it.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mblake View Post
Thank you so much. I just checked into the Dec 2016 thread. It's nice to not feel so alone in all this. 😊
You are never alone here; we are here for you 24/7/365; the people here truly care and want to see you succeed; I have never logged-in here and found it 'empty'.

BTW, sobriety rocks.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi mblake! welcome to SR and thanks for reaching out

We know how you feel as we have all been there

Have an extended read around the forum including the excellent links on this thread.

It is not easy and it might take a couple of attempts but you can do it
Old 12-14-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hope this is my last attempt! I'm so ready to feel healthy again!
Old 12-14-2016, 11:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Don't look back & know SR is in your corner hope to hear more from you
Old 12-15-2016, 02:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to have you join us mblake

D
Old 12-15-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the support. ❤

Made it through day 1... now day 2. I just woke up and drinking is already on my mind. I never make it past the second day but I will this time. I want to anyways.

Is it normal to get night sweats? I notice I sweat a lot on nights I don't drink.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yes the night sweats will pass for me it took a lil while others not so long but yes they will pass as long as you don't drink

There are tips for cravings at the top of Newcomers in the link that says what we done well worth reading
Old 12-15-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Yes the night sweats will pass for me it took a lil while others not so long but yes they will pass as long as you don't drink

There are tips for cravings at the top of Newcomers in the link that says what we done well worth reading
Thank you. I will check that out!
Old 12-15-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the sobriety dome!