Notices

Sober a fuzz over 30 days...some observations

Old 12-11-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober a fuzz over 30 days...some observations

Hey y'all, happy Sunday,

I've been meaning to check in since I crossed the 30-day sober threshold on Dec. 9. As usual, that first month was very topsy-turvy, but it seems like the annoying PAWS symptoms have abated quite a bit. Since I wasn't drinking as badly this time, the aftereffects have been less, but also I've realized that due to my alcoholism, I can't drink even small amounts as it leads to the inevitable daily drinks and resulting problems.

Since I've tried to be more mindful this go-around with early sobriety, some things have popped into my mind that I wanted to share:

First week sucks - I think this goes without saying, but the first week off the sauce is basically miserable. This is when your body is adjusting to the shock of not having alcohol present. For me, this go around wasn't as physically distressing, but still very uncomfortable. Back in 2014 when I was drinking 5-6 vodka cranberries a night, this phase was horrible and in retrospect, dangerous. I should've consulted with a doctor during this phase...always check with your doc before going cold turkey, especially if drinking heavily!

First month (or two or three) is a rollercoaster - I think this is the hardest part as I always wanted to see steady progress as far as my mind and body healing. The truth is, and this time has been no exception, some days are good, some meh, and some bad...there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. You can get great sleep and feel lousy the next day, and the next week get horrible sleep and feel great. Sleep also can be challenging...I was either unable to sleep or wanting to sleep all day long. On the latter, I've learned to let myself rest when needed and not try to fight it, as several days later, I will likely be up all night.

Weird physical symptoms - This has always been the hardest part for me in early sobriety. Dizziness, wobbliness, and a general faint feeling come with having anxiety anyway, but coming off alcohol made all this worse. At first, I constantly felt like passing out or falling down, but funny thing is that never happened, just my mind dealing with the combo of anxiety and getting off alcohol. Panic attacks occasionally show up too and add to the weird list of physical symptoms.

Your mind heals but it takes time - Another tough one for me, from day to day I feel like little progress is being made, and a few years ago when I was drinking heavily, weeks went by with hardly anything positive to show for the time being sober. However, as time goes on, you really do start to feel better...I just had to learn to be patient and be kind to myself. Alcohol causes such upheaval with your neurotransmitters, that only time can bring them back into proper balance.

Boredom - For me, getting sober is very boring at times. Alcohol kept my mind strangely active (or perhaps it was just making me sleep while awake). Being sober means finding positive things to do, and not letting my mind wander into dark places or think I have to fill every waking moment with activity. Staying physically active helps a lot here for me.

Underlying physical / mental health - One of my main issues keeping the booze flowing is my underlying anxiety. I've had it since being a teenager some 30 years ago and it still haunts me. I was using alcohol to medicate myself rather than dealing with it from a medical standpoint with my doctor. I'm convinced that my sobriety depends, in part, on maintaining proper focus on my mental health and consult with my doctor. Also, making sure physically things are OK, although so far things have been good on that front!
Old 12-11-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for this. Awesome post. I related to everything.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the post Plure

Congrats on your month

D
Old 12-11-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

My unstable, wobbly feelings lasted for over a year.

I was never dizzy, except for the first 2 days, but I was wobbly periodically daily for a long long time.

It was great motivation to quit. It has gotten better.

Now at 19 months sober, I am beginning to feel some real balance. I am feeling a little athletic almost.

I beat 3 of my coworkers at bowling friday...that says something to me.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate to your post Plure.

I experienced a lot of the same things.

Tomorrow I will be 7 weeks sober. I have felt really good the last four or five days - even though I have a head cold.

For me the 3rd and 4th weeks of sobriety were the worst. I was just out of it mentally the first few weeks; the rotten feeling and extreme fatigue peeked at week 4 and things have slowly gotten better ever since.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Excellent post thanks for sharing as others have i totally relate to it
Old 12-11-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post!

It helps to read about the journey into sobriety of time. I also had/have the dizzy/wobbly feeling and anxiety, still do at a little over 4 months, though it may be from stress or sleep issues.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2016, 01:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you Plure
Old 12-12-2016, 01:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great Post! thank you
Old 12-12-2016, 03:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post on your observations on your first 30 days and congratulations Plure!
Old 12-12-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job on 30 days! It awesome when we start seeing the benefits of our sobriety.

It keeps getting better so keep going!
Old 12-12-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I can really relate to your post, Plure. My biggest problems in the first few weeks were extreme fatigue and a really foggy feeling, mentally. I let myself sleep whenever I felt like it, and I realized my brain had some healing to do. My emotions were all over the place for a while, too. For me, extra exercise, eating well, getting plenty of sleep, and learning meditation all helped get through those early days. I have continued those habits to this day, and don't feel right if I don't.
Anyway, thanks for posting your observations.