Foster care

Old 12-08-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Foster care

My sister who has become addicted to meth had her kids removed from the home. They went to live with her husbands sister who is married and a stay at home mom to her son. My sister has two kids. Well the kids have serious behavior issues related to their abusive upbringing on the part of my sisters husband and now both of their parents fell to drugs and they saw a lot during that short time they were in the house with it. We were all shocked about my sister and I'm still in major depression over it. . Anyway, the family the kids are living with are at their breaking point and can't keep the kids anymore. The only other family options are me and my dad. My dad is over 70 and ill. I did not want kids and I work 10-12 hour days every day. I feel like this is moving to foster care but the thought makes everyone so sad. It is heartbreaking. However, I feel like parenting these kids would destroy our lives. I feel a lot of guilt over this and my dad does too. Is anyone in a situation where their nieces/nephews or grandkids had to go into foster care? Btw the kids live in a different state currently.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Auntie, it is a very sad situation and my prayers go out for these children, but you and your elderly dad are not the solution and it would be very hard on all of you, including the children.

Hopefully they will be put in a loving home with foster parents prepared to handle the issues that come with them. Many do.

My son is actually my foster son, although his life ended of a life of addiction he had love and opportunity and a good life with us...just like many addicted children from birth homes. Sometimes love isn't enough.

You are wise to face this realistically and I will keep you all in my prayers.

Hugs
Old 12-09-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think Ann said it so beautifully. The most loving and kind thing you can do is allow them to go into foster care where they will receive the kind of special care they need right now.

Prayers to all of you.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your replies. I feel a little more peace after reading your posts. So much loss is happening all at once and foster care is another huge loss. I recognize that that doesn't mean I can parent them. I don't feel like our little team is capable of it. My dad isn't 100% there yet and neither was I but I am moving toward feeling a little more peace with that outcome.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry for this sad situation. I agree with the advice given.