Does severity of pupil constriction indicate dosage?

Old 11-30-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does severity of pupil constriction indicate dosage?

I can't seem to find this info. I'm just so curious. I know my ex was using opiates- what kind is not really clear. He used to use oxy, but his pupils were never THAT constricted back then. And his behavior changed so much. I'm really leaning toward heroin, which my mother balked at when I told her. But the nodding off, flu-like symptoms- everything seems to add up to that.

Anyway, I noticed sometimes his pupils were soooo tiny. I could always tell when he used, but sometimes they were almost nonexistent.

I'm just wondering if you can tell by the size if they used large amounts, or if it's simply constricted vs. not constricted.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hmmm. interesting. I have no idea. If you get a good answer please tell me! Im curious.
Here's a new one that the dr. at the hospital told us... apparently its possible to get a contact high from crystal meth. I always heard about (and pretty much disbelieved) that you could get a contact high from pot. But crystal meth? apparently so. I thought with the amount of research I'd done I had a full education... apparently not.
I think the nodding and flu like symptoms could also be any opiod, not just heroin. But heroin use isn't what it was a few decades ago. (or people had different preconceived notions of users. that don't really apply anymore. People around here that I would never guess would touch it, do. It is not a far jump in this area.
I've had a few loved ones addicted to opiod pills and a few addicted to heroin. The only difference that I've seen, is that the further it goes with either, the worse they both get, and most people usually don't start off shooting , so (in my experience only) once a user has moved to the needle, the addiction is already firmly in place. And we all know that active addiction is progressive.

My big clues for using a lot, were the non functionability more than pupil size. I've had someone fall asleep, mid sentence while standing up because of high dosages.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Same here...my exes pupils were never that constricted and the signs were subtle like lack of energy or too much energy, sweating, shaky hands, insomnia, lack of sex drive and just overall emotionally disconnected. Sometimes it's so difficult to tell. I had this pre conceived notion that under the influence your eyes are practically rolling into the back of your head. Yea definitely not that case and now when I look back there were so many times that my ex must have been under the influence that I just chaulked it up to him being just tired.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do think pupil size has to do with which drug you are taking. When my husband is smoking heroin, his pupils are TINY. When he's on suboxone, or taking oral opiates they are small.
Nodding off and then sometimes being super hyper will also tell you about severity of opiate use. If it's small doses it won't be as noticeable but if the doses are larger you will definitely be able to tell. I knew someone who was falling asleep mid conversation while on percs.
Also, from my own experience if your ex is smoking heroin, you will notice a burning smell from him, I described it as fire.. Very distinctive. Also, dark lips, sometimes yellow/pale skin and dark fingertips/nails - Almost like grease or dirt.

Sigh. I feel like a detective lol
Old 11-30-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, pupil size will vary depending upon how much of the drug they have in their system. The more drug, the smaller the pupils. It just depends. The less of the drug and pupils don't constrict quite as much but they do constrict some. Some folks have so much opiate in their system their pupils are pinpoint.

Meth, on the other hand causes pupils to dilate. But, some antidepressants do that too. One time I was working with a lady who was not functioning very well; like being basically not up to speed. I also noticed her pupils were HUGE and she was 'spacey'. I voiced my concerns to my manager and she told me that lady was being treated for severe depression and was on a large amount of antidepressants. Her husband had left her for another woman and she was taking it pretty hard.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think so. I have definitely seen that with my son, although I didn't really understand it back then. It's important to look at all the signs as a kind of a package deal, though, in my opinion. All signs, as well as general ability to function will get worse the more the addict uses.