Notices

Day 15 Questions

Old 11-19-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 15 Questions

Hi All, writing to share I am on Day 15 today! I've strung together 100 days of sobriety earlier this year, but that was living with my sister, which made it seem easier. I live alone now and this is the longest I've EVER gone being sober living alone (since I was in high school). So progress is being made.....

The main thing that is different this time is that i am so tired still! I got a good night's sleep last night - the best in a while - but 15 days in I still have very little energy or motivation. I am between jobs so I am lucky that I don't HAVE to perform, but my brain still feels mushy and physically I just want to relax on the couch. I am eating fairly well, though loving the ice cream in the evenings as my sugar substitute. In the past my energy has really bounced back by Day 15, not sure what's different this time except I'm a year older (49). What have been others' experience with fatigue in recovery? When has the energy come back?

Also pretty cranky - short with people. Trying to control that.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sunny- 15 days is super!

I, too, was very tired at first. I also didn't have to work for about five weeks and as I was very sick when I quit, I was able to sleep as much as I needed to - a LOT. I went through pretty significant PAWS - have you learned about this? There is a great article on digitaldharma.net (sorry, I can't get the link to work). It explains a lot about our physical and mental recovery process.

I have tried to keep learning how to listen to what my body needs and rest is still at the top of the list at nine months in. Self care and considering HALT (asking yourself if you are hungry, angry, lonely or tired) are really important for staying sober.

Are you working a program? I live alone too and I know that I was an expert at isolation. For me, AA has given me a world of support in people (as well as a place to go on a regular basis- if only for an hour, I'm in a room with a solution to my time and I'm not drinking).

Good luck. Hope to see you around.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 15 is fantastic SunnyDenver!!

For me it took a month or so to finally get some energy back, if like me it's taken years of drinking to get to this point then it was going to take more than a few weeks to dig myself out, and each time i tried it got more and more difficult.

Give it time, the body needs to heal physically, mentally and emotionally, but it can only work at it's own pace, hang in there!!
Old 11-19-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on Day 15!

I think every relapse and new start becomes harder than the last. That is discouraging, but you don't have to go through that again.