Notices

Can't believe the crap I've eaten today

Old 11-17-2016, 12:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't believe the crap I've eaten today

It's day 3. I've got some sort of low grade flu- aching head to toe, headache, sore eyes and throat and fatigue. But I have eaten an amazing array of junk. Crumpets with butter and jam, oreo biscuits, jam and cream donut, a chocolate frappe and fish cocktails and three potato scallops. I'm feeling sad, lonely and depressed at having wasted the year with drinking and hangovers so I know it's just comfort eating. Blah.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll feel better soon and your diet will be better too nooneever

D
Old 11-17-2016, 02:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day three!

I can absolutely relate to that flu-like feeling. Obviously we can't give medical advice here, but giving up the booze has taken it's toll on your body and it's going to take a little while to feel better, but you will! When I stopped drinking the worst part for me was my headaches but eased up on day 6. You're getting better with every sober minute so don't give up :-)

With regards to the food, when I was taking heroin I didn't eat much of anything, and when I was drinking I wouldn't eat fast food or convenience food because it was "bad for me", oh the irony! Anyway, in early recovery I've eaten fast food, oven chips for the first time ever, I even made a pizza! You're making a big change here and it's important to be patient with yourself :-)
Old 11-17-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My experience is that the more sugar and garbage I eat, the worse I feel. It's very hard in early sobriety not to eat this way. But maybe just hedge it back a bit as far as portions and then add a little something green... if there's a market you can get a ready made salad or cooked veggies. You'll feel the difference.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey None

At least you're sober. Its really common to feel like you're sick, or even get sick, in early abstinence. Not sure why but many times I come down with a cold in the first few weeks. One would think it would be the opposite but who knows?

I agree with Sleepie. Sugar, while it satisfies cravings (and creates more), may make you feel more sluggish and depressed in the long run. Hang in there. It gets better.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sober style

On the bright side, at least you didn't eat those Oreo biscuits with gravy.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm almost 3 months sober and have been eating crap ever since, healthy suppers and stuff but late night snaking on ice cream, kids halloween candy, cereal and **** I never ate while I was drinking....bah
Old 11-17-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can totally relate. My sugar intake kicked up big time about 100 days in- that seemed to be when a lot of things shifted for me- and I still eat a lot more than ever before.

I have really cut myself slack on this one. I needed to gain about 10-15 lbs and have probably gained 18-20, and while I don't love my little tummy, I am ok with my process here. I eat a mostly healthy diet- lots of fruits and veggies in particular- and am moderating the amount of ice cream etc (half a piece of coffee cake not the whole, like I just ate) and am very active.

This one goes in the "I will work through it" category. At the start, especially, non alcoholic comfort is ok by me- guiding myself on how food makes me feel is my rule of thumb, and getting increasingly focused on the good I put into my body is my focus.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Noneever, it's still early days and I remember just listening to my body for the first few weeks and eating things I felt like eating. As you move along in recovery, I think your self-esteem will rise and you will begin to eat better.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

noneever... I got sick twice in the 1st few months I was sober... Like I had never for years, even while drinking!

I think we really have major physical adjustments in sobriety...

Welcome to Day 4 noneever, stay strong
Old 11-17-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Still feeling sick but seeing as I ate most of the junk food in the house yesterday, it'll be healthier choices today. Although I do have one remaining donut and some icecream in the freezer haha.