Notices

Feeling weird

Old 11-15-2016, 10:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling weird

It's day 2 for me. I went to an AA meeting last night, my first, and it left me feeling hopeful and calmer. I'm going to another meeting tonight.
I've had many, many day 2's. I don't drink every day- my pattern was to drink heavily 1-3 times a week. So I don't think I'm going through a big withdrawal.
But I feel really washed out today. Tearful and tired. I feel as though someone has died. Things seem surreal and just 'off'. I feel like I'm looking at life through a fog. I can't quite explain it, I haven't felt like this on previous day 2's. It's not that I'm anxious, it's more like I can see how messed up my life is and realising it's really going to take a good while to get back on track. I don't know what I'm trying to say.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The first few days are the hardest, and you won't ever have to go through them again. Be kind to yourself, rest, eat, and read and post here as often as you need. Glad you are finding additional support with AA.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe this time it feels a little more final noneever, a goodbye to whats gone before?

D
Old 11-16-2016, 12:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It does feel final Dee, but it scares me to say that because I've returned to alcohol so many times in the past. One day at a time, right?
Old 11-16-2016, 01:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi nonever,

It can feel weird indeed and I do value the one day at a time approach. But at the same time what really has been helping me this time around is telling myself I just don't drink anymore. Not for today, for this week, for this year, it is just something that I no longer do. This thought was hard to deal with on my first weeks but my head got used to it now.

Stay strong, these first days are crucial, you ll soon find a lot more motivation and confidence for your recovery.

P
Old 11-16-2016, 01:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Forever can be scary - one day at a time works too until forever seems not so scary

D
Old 11-16-2016, 02:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't try to change your whole life at once. I'm a "serial relapser" and that feeling of exhaustion, sadness etc seems to be totally normal in those early days. Personally, it's taken me a while to get past it and I take medication for depression. That being said, getting sober and getting over that initial early recovery hurdle was key to improving my mental health.

Be patient with yourself, eat well and rest as much as you can!
Old 11-16-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi noneever

prayin' for ya!