Notices

Need Advice on Dealing with Exhaustion

Old 11-07-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Advice on Dealing with Exhaustion

I have been so excited to get to 30 days sober and celebrate this milestone!

It finally came today and I have felt so tired I have barely left my living room. It's like I'm in a cycle right now - one day I'll feel great, get a lot done and the next day I'm completely pooped.

Do any of you have any advice on how to increase energy levels during this phase of getting sober?

Old 11-07-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

I'm going through the same.

I started a diary just keeping record of bad days and good days and its slowly been easing up week on week. it was originally 7 bad days out of 7 and now down to 2. I'm on day 68.

I started drinking a gallon of water a day, eating as clean as I can, so no processed foods, caffeine, sugar etc, vitamins like b, c, d, thiamine, magnesium and forcing myself to exercise no matter what. the longer you do nothing the longer youll be tired. it might seem like hell but little by little it all adds up

good luck
Old 11-07-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me it took a while to regain my energy, if like me it took years to get to the point of quitting it's gonna take more than a month to dig yourself out.

My best advice is give your body what it wants, we don't need to be taking on the world just yet, if a sofa day is needed, or an evening watching TV, then go for it and don't feel guilty.

In my first few months all I did was go to work, come home and crash, but then at one point I regained my energy, it did happen, so hang in there!!

You can do this, keep pushing through!!
Old 11-07-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My coffee intake has increased so maybe I will work on cutting back on that as well. Thank you for your insight!
Old 11-07-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Purpleknight! It took me about 3 months of weaning off to get here. Maybe I will have more energy for the new year
Old 11-07-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

When I first got sober ... I did climb into bed by 8 or 9pm every night. Just to rest as much as possible. Body goes through so much the first weeks and months.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I found if I had a sugary snack around 3 pm to 4pm it bought me a few more hours awake in the evening.

I would have a fresh orange juice, a milkshake, a doughnut or a hot chocolate to give me boost.

Really worked for me.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Reduce caffeine and take lots of naps. Eat well. Walk or exercise if you can, learn to meditate.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Suzy,
I was often a roller coaster of super energized to completely exhausted the first couple of months. At over four months now things are really leveling out. Each week is better then the last so stay with it.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's a comfort to know others have experienced this as well and that I'm "normal". I've suffered from depression before and was a bit concerned that it could be the problem. Thank you bunches!
Old 11-07-2016, 11:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Suzy... I've struggled with this problem too.... been trying to stay as active as possible but not overdo it... give myself permission to rest too ... don't let other people put un-needed pressure on you...
Old 11-07-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for asking this question suzyq! I am also struggling with this - yesterday I was SO exhausted...I couldn't concentrate on anything. I'm like a bit of a zombie at work at the moment - good to know this is to be expected! x
Old 11-13-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm new here and 38 days sober. I was wondering about the tiredness too lately. It seems like I need more sleep now. And my emotions are one big rollercoaster, too. Happy one minute, want to throatpunch people the next, lol.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for this SusyQ. I'm only day 6 but am just sooooo tired. Was concerned it was depression. Have had so many docs and counsellors tell me other times I have quit that I need to give my body time to heal and I have to expect feeling crap. But coming from all of you guys it seems much more legitimate.
Thanks so much. Now I can just accept it and do what ever is in my power to help my body along. Not so great to know it takes so long but still it's something I CAN do something about.
Thanks again.