Notices

Newly sober alcoholic

Old 10-29-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newly sober alcoholic

Hey, Im 24 years old and Im 91 days sober from a nearly 4 year heavy drinking spell...I had recently had my blood work done and my liver enzymes were mildly elevated along with a few other abnormalities...my heart will beat occasionally when i wake up from sleep rapidly...I have no history of panic attacks. This time seems way different then last time I got sober for a bit...could i have just recently stepped over the line of physical dependance and caused actual damage in just 3 to 4 years?..I also have been lathargic this time and not as quick to just run straight back to working because I travel doing construction and it always seemed as if it was more excuseable to drink while i was on the road working..maybe it could be the lack of regular exercise..I will be seeing doctor for a abdominal ultrasound when i can get the chance just was wondering if anyone had any insights out there...Ive only been to an AA meeting once as an adult.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome and congratulations. I have no idea how long it takes to cause damage. I drank daily for 20 years with many years of heavy drinking.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Tarzan

There's no way for any of us to tell you if you're physically dependent or not.

It's worth considering that even if you don't have a history of anxiety or panic attacks these things can develop and can be characteristic of early recovery.

Is this something you raised with your Dr? what did they say?

D
Old 10-29-2016, 08:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went to the ER back in june after drinking a 5th of whiskey before noon for a week and at the bar for the remainder of the day drinking god knows how many...when I stoped i experienced what the er called dts...I was basically not able to hydrate myself back and had low oxygen...they gave me some ivs and voluum in a IV and sent me homr with a paper with a alcohol abuse diagnostic...at the end of july i relapsed but only had a couple beers went to er because my heart...they took blood work xrays etc had some abnormalaties in the bloodwork...I think they put on the paper a anxiety disorder they werent sure of and hypokalemia...been a bit scared to go to the doctor but it seems to be more manageable now.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi tarzan

congrats on 91 days!

the old timers told me to go to a meeting and get a 90 day chip

not for me

but to demonstrate to the newer people that its possible to stay sober that long

Old 10-30-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

91 days is really, really good, Tarzan. Congrats!
Old 10-30-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tarzan congrats on 91 days!
Go see your Dr. now and not when you get around to it. It is a lot easier, quicker and cheaper to fix problems early on. Being in construction you understand - much like building a good foundation.
Drinking really saps the nutrients out of your body. Your Dr. can identify deficencies and help you get your zest back.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks. Lol i feel better every day...not to avoid the enevitable doctor check up and ultrasound but couldnt it be possible that my liver is healing itsself....I mean a few months ago I couldnt form any sorts of abstract thinking...everything was a to b...The reality of the withdrawal was as real as it could be. I was suggesting to myself heart disease kidney failure..I had told alot of people close to me that i thought I was dying because I really felt as if any subtle change in my heart beat my stool colors was something terribly wrong...the innitial withdrawal went away a couple weeks after leaving the er...the second onset was one of panic and it seemed as if every change made my mind react and automatically assume a symptom of something terrible...Ive always heard the liver had a pretty remarkable healing aspect to it ...
Old 10-31-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sure, the body is pretty resilient -and the health fear a lot of us have immediately when we quit is normal but usually short lived...

Unfortunately, for me for many years, I'd invariably decide that this all meant I'd probably overreacted, and go back to drinking....

don't do that

D
Old 11-02-2016, 09:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was 6 months clean last year...got away from it without withdrawals luckily! Then i messed up in January and spiraled out of control this year! I plan on never touching the stuff again lol
Old 11-02-2016, 09:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Congratulations on 90 days Tarzan!
Old 11-02-2016, 09:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Tarzan your so young. Beat it now once and for all. I'm 53 and drank my youth away. Don't wait my friend your whole wonderful life is ahead of you
Old 11-02-2016, 10:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

STOP THE ANXIETY, PANIC, AND CRAVING . . .

BY TRULY DECIDING "I DON'T NEED POISON BOOZE"!

'Fake' deciding causes these inner conflicts.

FIND A MORE SATISFYING LIFE QUICK!

Your being attuned to possible medical problems may be valid... So far all major tests clear... But certainly developing liver or pancreatic cancer, etc. is more likely for abusers. .. Stop and count your blessings.

WE WERE MADE SOBER . . . RECOVER THAT !
Old 11-03-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

got my blood tests....My Alt was 50 with a cap of 47....low lymphocytes 16 with bottom cap of 20 and high neo something 71 with cap of 70.....low potassium 3.2
Old 11-03-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Don't all these out-of-norm tests show you physically what you know mentally:

WE WERE NEVER MADE TO ABUSE!

We were made to enjoy a sober life only.

I hope you quickly 'plug into' sober fun forever!

Old 11-04-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh im sober and loving it....although i often fell like the guy who wants a reward for not failing a class that most pass pretty easily. Just have to be acountable for whatever happens next from here on out...getting back to work monday