Notices

Is alcoholism a genetic predisposition?

Old 10-22-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is alcoholism a genetic predisposition?

I've always wondered this, and though I have withdrawals when I stop, I didn't crave alcohol in the beginning.

I was forced to drink a beer by my grandmother when I was 8 years old, being told "a man needs to be able to hold his liquor". My parents were the same way with me, and always had beer in the basement fridge for me. I started out drinking once a week or so, then was coerced into drinking more and more with dinners etc., so I began drinking a beer a day at age 14 or so. Then my parents wanted to party with me after dinners, so I slowly began drinking more and more.

I'm fairly sure my addiction developed over years, if not decades of being 'forced' into situations where drinking is supported.

I've taken long breaks, and each time I relapse, it gets harder. Spending time in here posting and reading has been very helpful. I'm not completely sober, but take 2-3 days off a week now, and just reading on here keeps me from drinking too much. I used to drink 12+ drinks a day, everyday, but now am down to 2-4 beers on days I drink, then I get tired yet lucid enough to know I'll just get more tired and hungover if I keep drinking. I'm not sure if I feel any differently from when I don't drink at all so long as I'm eating healthy. I definitely have a drinking problem (100% alcoholic), but things have been far worse in the past.

I just wonder if alcoholism is 'developed' over time, or if many of you were hooked very quickly? If one is trained for decades to drink, does one become powerless over it with time, or is it simply a decision to put it in your mouth?
Old 10-22-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, genetics plays a role in alcohol use disorder:

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-he...-use-disorders
Old 10-22-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, sober. Not an expert here, but I can share what I have read. My opinion only. Yes, genetic predisposition to developing alcohol use disorder is a factor, one of several. It sounds from your story growing up that you experienced another factor: environment. Alcohol seems to have played a starring role in your home environment. You were exposed to it early, and alcohol use and parental approval were linked. Wow, that's sad. Going forward, that you are having sober days is good, as is drinking fewer beers a day. I imagine you have considered going to AA? Or another recovery program? Could help. Peace.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was never forced to drink at a young age, I actually hated alcohol when I was younger. I never really took a liking to it until I was about 19, and was a "normal" drinker until about 23 or so, and it grew and grew into full blown alcoholism at about 25.
For some, the first sip is all it takes to turn on the alcoholic switch, for others, it is a slow growing monster that can take years to grow.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

True, Forward. Everyone's experience with the beast is different. I was a normal drinker until I was well into my 50's, when it became painfully clear that I had developed a dependency on alcohol. Non-drinker now.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had my first drinking experience at 19 and blacked out, followed by a three day hangover. You'd think an experience like that would have scared me away from alcohol, but 20+ years later, here I am. I don't know if alcoholism is a genetic predisposition. All I know is how much I hate it and want to be free from its clutches.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know. I found the taste of bourbon disgusting the first few times I drank it. It became my alcoholic beverage of choice. Strange, isn't it? Shoulda listened.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mr

Its both genetic and environmental.
I have both - only the environmental were self induced..
Its ODAAT with sobriety.
Sometimes for me its OHAAT
Old 10-22-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mr

and often that OHAAT is an hour on SR.
Take care
Old 10-22-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
We all have genetic variants that can influence how we respond to substances. "Addiction is genetic" is way oversimplified. It's just more complex than that.

This was an interesting article. I especially like this part:
The clear implication is that probably anyone — regardless of genetic risk — can become addicted or abstinent in the right environment.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hear that. Dependencies are individual and complex.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think it's genetic.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I also agree with it being a combination of genetics + environment. I am sorry you were put in those situations at a young age.

I didn't have my first drink until I was 20, and after that first buzz hit, I immediately fell in love, and it went downhill very quickly from there. So I would say for myself all it took was that first drink. Kinda wish I never had.