Notices

New Here

Old 10-07-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

Hello,

I am really nervous about this and I don't really know what I am looking for...just someone who understands to listen I guess

I have been drinking more than I should for 12 years, nightly for 8 (except for being pregnant, which means I should be able to quit right?) and it has become more and more every night for the last year or two.

I have started feeling very bad physically in the last few months and my work has been suffering because of lack of morning time concentration and I decided two weeks ago that I wanted to quit.

Alas, although my intentions were great and I was able to manage to cut back some, this week has held a lot of emotional problems and I find myself right back to where I started.

I know that there will always be problems. I know that. But in the entirety of my adult life, problems have always been solved by the cracking open of a bottle.

I have to stop...I want to stop...I hate myself when I am drinking and I honestly don't have the money to continue.

Any words of encouragement would be appreciated, any words of advice (even if they sound harsh) are more than welcome.

I deserve better than this life and so does my family.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

But in the entirety of my adult life, problems have always been solved by the cracking open of a bottle.

really?
welcome, hpicot.
likely you mean that your way of attempting to solve problems was by drinking...it doesn't work, does it? it just leaves them there, piling up and getting worse...

congratulations on knowing you need to stop and want to stop and on reaching out in spite of being nervous.
doing things in spite of not wanting to is one of the things that is so helpful and necessary for so many of us in our sober road-travelling.

glad you're here, and i hope you stick around.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. This is a great place. You will find lots of support, wisdom and understanding.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi hpicot and welcome

I'm curious too as to whether that cracking open of the bottle actually solved any problems, or whether thats just the only tool you have in your toolbox?

D
Old 10-07-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have to say that obviously no. Drinking has never solved any of my problems. It is only a balm that I use to temporarily cover up any negative or sad feelings I have about life.

In answer to Dee74, yes, it is the only thing I have ever had. I never had any really big issues in life before I started drinking so I have never learned how to handle myself in times of emotional stress. I know this will have to change.

I thank you for your replies and I look forward to all future advice that will be given. This looks like a great support group!
Old 10-07-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're in good company - most of us had no idea on how to copy with a whole range of things....but take away our only tool and we really have no choice but to find other tools, to learn and grow

D
Old 10-07-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Our beloved CarolD used to say, you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. I finally got to that point and put it down for good, almost seven years ago. My life has never been better.

I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Hpicot!!
Old 10-09-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleKnight View Post
Welcome to the Forum Hpicot!!
Old 10-09-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm sort of new here too, I was here last yr for 6 months then started drinking again in April....day 1 2day, I just want to be happy without the wine!! I'm actually seeing a therapist this wk for the 1st time, hoping it will help!
This site is great, just post as much as you can, i dont think i would have made it to 6 months without it!!
Welcome & best of luck
Old 10-09-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Hpicot, glad you're here!
Old 10-09-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I somehow missed your first post, hpicot. It helped me so much to post & read here. I had felt all alone until I did. I really hope you'll stay with us.