Notices

Addiction

Old 10-04-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction

Hello guys. I an just laying here thinking about addiction. I guess i am just curious as to how many of you have stuck to just your drug of choice and how many of you, when given the option, chased any kind of high.

I find it curious that some of us alcoholics only drink wine or only drink beer. It's all dangerous but I'm curious about the different levels of addiction.

For me, if beer is in the fridge I never think about it. If my boyfriend orders beer I don't care but if he orders a martini my heart sinks because I'm jealous. I have smoked some pot lately but as with beer, I hardly care about it or think of it. However, I went to the hospital recently for a kidney infection where the pain medication they gave me was dilaudid. I have been hospitalized for different infections in my lifetime and every time the medicine was dilaudid, injected through my IV. Each time I lied about the level of my pain so I could get more. That initial heaviness as the drug went through my body was comforting. I would never seek it out in the real world but it's scary to think that I could like it so much.

In addition, I was given hydrocone when I came home and I'm the type of person to take only half of recommended dose of pills because that's normally all I need. I accidentally took more than I needed and I got high. I liked it of course but not enough to risk doing it again. I'm scared of getting addicted to something else.

Anyways, I am just thinking of how dangerous addiction can be. So many choices and so many options. So many drugs to be taken together to formulate different levels and means of intoxication.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Catch 22

I just loved alcohol more than any other drug. Tried weed. Hated it. Tried coke a few times. Got high but would rather drink.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

And the answer is always sobriety Jade x
Old 10-04-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have tried other drugs but alcohol is my DOC. I have never switched addictions to another substance. I have been addicted to people however.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Addicted to people? That's interesting. Like relationships?
Old 10-04-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohol was always my first and true love, and nothing else could ever compare to it. Not even potent intravenous opioids, which I have also had prescribed while in the hospital.

I suspect that had some other drug been as readily and legally available instead of alcohol, that the outcome might have been the same, however.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

While some can have more than one addiction, I think for most it's mainly one. I smoked weed for a bit but it just gave me anxiety. Tried coke for a little while but it didn't do much for me and I only really used it for energy as I worked an overnight shift.
Pain pills, only if I needed them and had plenty left over. Benzos, just as needed for my anxiety. Though once that booze goes down, the switch comes instantly on like i've just ingested the most magical thing to ever exist, when in reality it couldn't be further from the truth.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jade1224 View Post
Addicted to people? That's interesting. Like relationships?
Yes. Plenty of codependency going on in alcoholics that I've met.
I reckon when I don't work my program my addiction def comes out sideways. Over the years it has come out in a number of ways when I just tried to cut out drinking but didn't have a plan, or work a program of recovery. . . Eating (guzzling Homer Simpson style - esp high sugar stuff til it made me get a dizzy head rush - meringue nests are the best / worst for that) ; relationships ; Sexual behaviours or obsession; shopping (mad silly excess shopping). Basically looking towards things outside of myself to make me feel better, and trying to replicate initial bursts of pleasure by doing the same thing ovr and over and more and more. Which of course doesn't work. It just created diffrent brands of unmanageability. Now I know that if I feel bad, I need to look to healing whatever is broken within me, or sometimes I simply need to find some acceptance, or work on a fear that is dragging me off-centre.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Alcohol was my first love. I had tried a couple other things but didn't like them. I never tried anything else because I felt like I'd probably become addicted to those as well, and I was already a mess having alcohol on my hands.