Notices

Withdrawals

Old 09-28-2016, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawals

I'll be brief. I've been drinking for the past ten years, and I'm 24. Pivoting on being successful and really screwed up. I've always drank a bottle of vodka a night starting probably a month or two ago. Before that it was occasional drinking on weekdays and lots on the weekend. I can't afford a doctors visit, and definitely not rehab because of school / work. I need a way to get the withdrawal symptoms down. I think I'd prefer collapsing at work from DT's to at least have a decent excuse that's visible. My attendance has been poor from alcohol, and I haven't been very open about it. I'm on day three and I have:
The shakes constantly
Hot and cold flashes
It's hard to focus
I get blank tunnel vision sometimes
Night sweats
Normal sweats
Constantly flush face
Can't sleep (I keep waking up sweating, I've probably gotten 6 hours in the past two days)
Hearing things that aren't there
I don't know if it was a dream or not last night but I think I had a mild seizure
Heart palpitations / rapid heartbeat
Ulcers as well that are painful, but that was the cause of me needing to quit.

Last edited by TenYearsWet; 09-28-2016 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Forgotten a symptom
Old 09-28-2016, 10:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TenYearsWet View Post
I'll be brief. I've been drinking for the past ten years, and I'm 24. Pivoting on being successful and really screwed up. I've always drank a bottle of vodka a night starting probably a month or two ago. Before that it was occasional drinking on weekdays and lots on the weekend. I can't afford a doctors visit, and definitely not rehab because of school / work. I need a way to get the withdrawal symptoms down. I think I'd prefer collapsing at work from DT's to at least have a decent excuse that's visible. My attendance has been poor from alcohol, and I haven't been very open about it. I'm on day three and I have:
The shakes constantly
Hot and cold flashes
It's hard to focus
I get blank tunnel vision sometimes
Night sweats
Normal sweats
Constantly flush face
Can't sleep (I keep waking up sweating, I've probably gotten 6 hours in the past two days)
Hearing things that aren't there
I don't know if it was a dream or not last night but I think I had a mild seizure
Heart palpitations / rapid heartbeat
Ulcers as well that are painful, but that was the cause of me needing to quit.
I really didn't know where to post this, I apologize in advance if this is clogging up a non specific portion of the forum.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Human

It's good that you've made the decision to stop, and that you reached out for help!

Withdrawals are better assessed by a doctor, especially if you've had hallucinations or seizures. Knowing they can happen doesn't stop them from damaging your brain permanently, or worse. They can be avoided altogether with supervised detox. A medical bill is better than death, even without insurance.

Day three is a hard one, but you're already on your way past it. Monitor your temperature, drink plenty of water and have lots of healthy food in hand. Some vitamins too. Warm baths with Epsom salt may help relax your muscles since shakes may leave them feeling sore.

Really though, with vivid dreams/hallucinations/seizures, call a doctor. It's much safer. They will also get you involved in outpatient programs.

Insomnia, shakes, brain fog will go away in a variable amount of time. Distractions are key...something funny on Netflix etc. even if you can't sleep, try to rest. Once you feel slightly better, 15 minutes of exercise a day will do wonders.

You'll make it. If the severe symptoms persist, definitely try to find medical attention. Google can help find places for uninsured residents in your area. Hugs!
Old 09-28-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome tenyearswet

Nothing wrong with posting here but you might get a little more feedback and response in our Newcomers forum

Newcomers to Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D