Notices

What is the point?

Old 09-27-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is the point?

I can't get beyond a week without drinking. Drinking switches all of the 'noise' in my head off. But I wake up and it's all there again, ten fold.
I'm so tired of my inner critic. It abuses me all day long. Tells me how ****** I am, how I've ****** things up. That I'll always be a loser. I try to fight against it but it keeps YELLING. I'm tired of fighting it. I just want peace and quiet. To wake up without that ******* voice in my head telling me how crap I am.
I don't know how much longer I can do this. I'm not living, I'm just existing. I want to slit my wrists but I know I'll lose the nerve to do it properly and I'll just end up in a mental health unit, medicated.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Noneever,

I have also felt this way over the years....the booze had me so depressed and sad. I felt worthless and alone....30 years of experience trying to quite my mind with booze,

YOU are worth so much more than this! Allow yourself some time to sober up and see things clearly. Love yourself, despite the mistakes that you have made.

YOU have a lot to offer the world, the booze has been covering up all of the opportunities waiting for you! Forgive yourself and fight to survive this addiction.

Please reach out for immediate help if you are on the edge....reach out!!

This is a great place for support. Hugs from Arizona
Old 09-27-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

What's the point?

To sobriety? You've not given sobriety a chance, so it's too soon to give up on it. We all have the "voice in our head." If yours is ultra critical, there are things you can do about it, about your esteem, and techniques to combat negative thoughts.

But none are effective as long as you drink. You aren't seeing the benefits of recovery, only the struggle of addiction, relapse, and withdrawals. Please find the means to recover from your alcoholism. You will see a difference.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The point is that you don't have to live like that noneever. The alcohol actually causes most of the problems you list, it only seems like it's helping initially but in reality it's the reason you feel like you do.

I remember feeling exactly the same way - not wanting to drink but needing to drink. It was an awful situation. The good news is there is a way out, but it will be uncomfortable at first. And you won't be "thrown in a mental health unit" for admitting your addiction and seeking help. Have you considered seeking help via meetings, your doctor or perhaps a counselor?
Old 09-27-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

The only way I ever bought that inner critic to heel was to stay sober noneever.

If you spend your life running away from things and feelings like I did as drinker, you're going to feed that self hatred. No growth means no change.

The only way out, IMO, is to engage with life. It's hard for a few weeks, but I found the more things I accomplished the less shrill that voice got.

I found I was more competent and capable than I ever dreamed. That was the first step to me becoming comfortable with me.

My mind still goes at 100mph - but I go with it now & it no longer scares me or wears me down - I can direct it for good and productivity and not self destruction.

Give it three, four months of total abstinence and recovery work. I drank for 20 years. I think a few months is a reasonable ask.

I found I moved from existing to living in that time, and I hope you will too.

If you feel you just can't deal with the voice yourself maybe it's not a bad idea to consider some counselling?

D
Old 09-27-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi noneever,
What trips you up after your week?
Old 09-27-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

It was such a revelation to me to find that it was the drinking that caused me to hate myself, and not that I drank because I hated myself.

I have that inner critic too--sometimes it's my dad's voice in there but now I just call it my ego.

There are ways to shut that voice up or at least quiet it, but being sober had to come first. It took me a long time to get it, but one of the biggest things I learned was that I could separate myself from that voice--it wasn't me. Once I could see that, then I could begin to question it rather that simply believe everything it was telling me.

I can see now that it's such liar.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel a lot of the same things. I know from past attempts you have to push through the early weeks to even begin to get a clear head about anything. One day at a time and give longer sobriety a chance. Just don't be stupid like me and think this thing can ever be cured. It starts again right wher you left off or worse.

Lilly
Old 09-27-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LostLilly View Post
I feel a lot of the same things. I know from past attempts you have to push through the early weeks to even begin to get a clear head about anything. One day at a time and give longer sobriety a chance. Just don't be stupid like me and think this thing can ever be cured. It starts again right wher you left off or worse.

Lilly
Remember Lilly...your not "stupid" for thinking that you are cured. It is just the demon (booze/drugs) fooling you and lying to you. Your old friend (booze/drugs) misses you, and will do anything to lure you back into the depth of despair. I am now so pissed at my old friend for stripping me of so many years...good bye old friend.I am done with you!!
Old 09-27-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA Member

thanks none
Old 09-27-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The only way I ever bought that inner critic to heel was to stay sober noneever.

If you spend your life running away from things and feelings like I did as drinker, you're going to feed that self hatred. No growth means no change.

The only way out, IMO, is to engage with life. It's hard for a few weeks, but I found the more things I accomplished the less shrill that voice got.

I found I was more competent and capable than I ever dreamed. That was the first step to me becoming comfortable with me.

My mind still goes at 100mph - but I go with it now & it no longer scares me or wears me down - I can direct it for good and productivity and not self destruction.

Give it three, four months of total abstinence and recovery work. I drank for 20 years. I think a few months is a reasonable ask.

I found I moved from existing to living in that time, and I hope you will too.

If you feel you just can't deal with the voice yourself maybe it's not a bad idea to consider some counselling?

D
very well put, Dee!
Old 09-27-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I stopped drinking my inner critic reduced considerably and now is at a manageable level. Stopping drinking is the first step. Maybe see your doc too?
Old 09-27-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I experienced the same thing. And, it didn't stop just because I wasn't drinking anymore. As others have said, it took time. The thing is, when you are sober, you are present and much more able to direct your thoughts. Take a look at Mindfulness because it's something that has helped me.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noneever View Post
I can't get beyond a week without drinking. Drinking switches all of the 'noise' in my head off. But I wake up and it's all there again, ten fold.
I'm so tired of my inner critic. It abuses me all day long. Tells me how ****** I am, how I've ****** things up. That I'll always be a loser. I try to fight against it but it keeps YELLING. I'm tired of fighting it. I just want peace and quiet. To wake up without that ******* voice in my head telling me how crap I am.
I don't know how much longer I can do this. I'm not living, I'm just existing. I want to slit my wrists but I know I'll lose the nerve to do it properly and I'll just end up in a mental health unit, medicated.

You sound like an intelligent person and are a good writer.

You are simply in the fog of the alcohol. Let's get you out to 90 days.

You're going to be surprised when you have "The Awakening".

It's pretty awesome.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I felt exactly like you do, noneever. I'd wake up in the morning and be disappointed to still be alive. But I knew I couldn't actually kill myself, even though there were times I wanted to be dead. So, the answer was to figure out why I felt that way, and start to fix it. I did therapy. I did anti-depressants. They both helped a little. But when I quit drinking, it was pretty clear to me that the booze was really causing a whole lot of the depression, anxiety, and self-loathing. No - I didn't feel better right away. I knew I wouldn't - I went to treatment and we talked about that very thing. It takes time. And patience. and WORK. I want to live now. I like my life. I'm starting to like myself. Is everything puppies and unicorns and rainbows? No. But it's a heck of a lot better than wishing I had died in my sleep every morning.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was only exisiting,too, when the pain of getting drunk finally exceeded the pain of reality. I thought I was a hopeless,helpless,useless,worthless POS.
notice I said I THOUGHT I was.
I gave myself 2 choices-AA or suicide.
that's when I walked into an AA meeting, got the big book, went to meetings, and worked the program. I was going to give it 90 days- 90 days of meetings AND working the program- and if I didn't like the results, I was going for the other option.
it took a crapton of work and T.I.M.E. before I got it from my head to my heart that what I THOUGHT I was wasn't true and wasn't WHO I was- I wasn't a bad man, just a sick one.
when 90 days came up, I didn't know what was different IN me, but something was, so I decided to keep at it. then I realized that I drank for about 23 years and was only going to give AA 90 days? I didn't think that was fair, so I kept going back and workin the program.
it took much longer than a week for me to start believing I wasn't hopeless,helpless,useless, and worthless. I was actually able to look at myself in the mirror- something I hadn't done in YEARS- and tell myself I love me AND believe it.
I used to think alcohol shut the crap goin on in my melon off. that was a lie. all them negative thoughts of myself were still there.

whats the point in stopping drinking?
welp, if I didn't do anything to change, there wouldn't have been a point. I didn't get sober to be miserable- I got sober because I was miserable and didn't want to be miserable any more.

nonever, you asked a while ago about attending a SMART and AA meeting, but didn't say if you went or not.
here is a reply of yours in another thread
"I have got a plan full of things but I DON'T DO THEM."
welp, I think youre seeing how good doing nothing is working.
if nothing changes nothing changes. maybe its time to get yer arse into ACTION.
the easier,softer way doesn't seem to work good for ya.

you do it because youre worth it.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Non

My guess is many of us could have written your post. That's one of the things that makes alcoholics helping others alcoholics so powerful. I get it. Those voices, the critical parent, the helpless child, the victim, the rager are all voices I developed in childhood. My self esteem was garbage growing up and when I discovered alcohol? Wow. I'm beautiful, smart, interesting, at ease socially. Yah, right. I'm drunk. But I 'thought' I was those things. Flash forward to alcoholism and addiction....and all I am is a worthless drunk. Hurting myself, others and doing stupid and downright dangerous things. I'm a loser, a failure, a bad person. That is the voice of toxic shame that is caused by the very drug that 30 years ago made me invincible.

Recovery teaches me that I am not a bad person (shame) I have just done some bad things (guilt). Therapy (CBT) and the steps teach me how to change my thinking, discard behaviors and emotions that don't serve me (btw, I'm still trying to make this work....relapse is my middle name). Resentment is wicked and useless. Gratitude is power. If I do not drink no matter what, work my program and do the next right thing? I will recover. To have self esteem, I have to behave in an esteemable way.

Hang in there.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Can't offer advice as I still struggle also but wanted too offer *hugs*. You are not alone and I truly hope you get sober and learn too love yourself.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you going noneever?

D
Old 09-27-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm ok.