Notices

One week in...

Old 09-07-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One week in...

Hi Everyone,

I'm one week in to an attempt at continued sobriety for what feels like the 3rd or 4th time in as many months. It seems to always get to day 6-8 when i finally start feeling better that that thought pops into my head "Only one drink, have it to relax, its beautiful out" and as i'm sure is the case with most people here, 'only one' is NEVER the case and often turns into a weeks long struggle to start over again to give it up.

I'm tired of feeling awful the majority of the time and realized in the last year that i have used alcohol as a crutch to deal with both social and generalized anxiety and depression issues that i have finally stopped repressing after the last 8-10 years.

It was tough enough to admit needing help in those areas and again, alcohol provided an escape. Reading posts here has helped TONS this last week and i certainly feel less anxious just having an outlet to share experiences.

I'm more committed than ever, giving up activities that typically involve drinking until i get more confident in my ability to be around friends and work functions without needing a drink. In most readings i've done it seems like the 2 week hump is a bit of a milestone if i can power through that.

Any advice or support anyone has that has helped them to get through social situations, the initial cravings, or also having to tackle alcohol in addition to anxiety and depression would be so much appreciated.

Happy to finally have posted here...went another day today without alcohol....win
Old 09-07-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you are determined to make this work.

Many of us deal with anxiety/depression along with alcoholism. There are healthy ways to manage anxiety such as simple breathing techniques, mindfulness, meditation and yoga helps too. There are a couple of books that have helped me a lot:

From Panic to Power by Lucinda Bassett
When Panic Attacks by Dr. David Burns

I stayed away from social situations involving alcohol for many, many months until I felt comfortable and it was the best decision for me.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats WTD. It is great to have sobriety goals but if I can offer one piece of advice....focus on getting through today. Then tomorrow focus on getting through that day. repeat - one day at a time. The days will add up to weeks and months.

Get a plan and/or coping skills together to help you on a daily basis.

You can do this!
Old 09-07-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

2 weeks is not much time for getting over depression or anxiety. I would stay away from social functions for as long as needed.
1 AA
2 Smart Recovery
3 LifeRing
4 CBT with a therapist
have a game plan and get busy, good luck
Old 09-07-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

also there are good videos on you tube for anxiety
Old 09-07-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have some of the same issues that you do and drank for many of the same reason reasons. I can only tell you that all of my symptoms have become milder and much more manageable the longer I didn't drink. It did take a while though, so just try to be patient with it and hopefully you'll see the episodes become less intense and a lot less frequent.

Wishing you all the best tonight on your new journey.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done. Keep it up.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Always having tried to tackle personal problems myself, and frequently holding things in out of fears of being judged or labeled, i'm humbled by all the quick responses and words of encouragement from total strangers. So very thankful to have found this forum and hope to stay active here on this journey.

Many thanks
Old 09-07-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so glad to have you with us, Win.

I was so reluctant to open up on here - but it was such a huge relief when I did. We never have to feel alone anymore - there's always someone here to listen and care. Congratulations on your week of sobriety. Things will keep getting better as you grow stronger and healthier.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm one week in to an attempt at continued sobriety for what feels like the 3rd or 4th time in as many months. It seems to always get to day 6-8 when i finally start feeling better that that thought pops into my head "Only one drink, have it to relax, its beautiful out" and as i'm sure is the case with most people here, 'only one' is NEVER the case and often turns into a weeks long struggle to start over again to give it up.
Maybe a change in your approach would help...???
Old 09-07-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your week wintheday

why not swing past and check out the Class of September support thread?
It's a good place to be

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-1-a-9.html

D
Old 09-07-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one week! I can tell you from experience attempting the just one/moderation never works out, at least it didn't for me.

SR has been a wonderful support for me, and I have been sober for a little over 8 months. I joined the January class, and check in daily. I definitely encourage you to join the September class. Do you have any other supports in place?
Old 09-07-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on one week WIN. Awesome job. reach out here if you start feeling weak. We can only help if you let us know before its too l late.

Fantastic job!
Old 09-08-2016, 04:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Congratulations on one week! I can tell you from experience attempting the just one/moderation never works out, at least it didn't for me.

SR has been a wonderful support for me, and I have been sober for a little over 8 months. I joined the January class, and check in daily. I definitely encourage you to join the September class. Do you have any other supports in place?
Family and a few friends know of my struggles, but i'm somewhat hard headed and feel guilty knowing that my problem has been creating stress and hardships for others (even though i know they care immensely and all they want to do is help). I tell myself that they shouldnt have to worry about a problem i've created myself, and it burdens me to know it's always in the back of their minds.

I've also spoke with a few therapists to help deal with the other social anxiety / depression issues, but have still yet to find one i really connect with. To be honest, posting and reading messages here has helped just as much, if not more.

I think my reluctance to reach out more deals mostly with being ashamed that things got so bad where i had to avoid things like going to concerts or playing recreational softball (since we were sponsored by a bar). But thankfully, thus far, the few people i have spoke to have been 100% supportive. I worry about venturing back out to those spots eventually to socialize with those that don't know and having to deal with comments like "Grab a beer, whats wrong with you?" or "Take a shot with us!" Hoping as i'm able to check off the days i'll gain more confidence and be able to brush these things off no problem....but certainly not yet...For now it's one day at a time - On to day 8!
Old 09-08-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Wintheday
Old 09-08-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum WinTheDay!!