Notices

How to make sure I'm in Rehab As Long As Possible?

Old 09-01-2016, 09:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to make sure I'm in Rehab As Long As Possible?

I'm "verbally" scheduled to enter Detox, Followed by rehab at the same facility later this month.
I've contacted the Rehab facility (with my insurance info). they have told me that there is an initial deductible payment ( which is fair) .......But they refuse to tell me how long my insurance will pay for my stay until I am admitted and assessed.
It would be nice to know if my stay is gonna be 5 days or 90 Days?
Anyone know if there is any "Tricks of the Trade" that I can utilize to assure I stay as long as possible while getting my insurance to cover as much cost as possible??
I've read reviews about this rehab Center......Many people said that they felt like they were being kicked out after a week/10 days because their insurance wouldn't continue payment.?
Old 09-01-2016, 09:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It all depends on your insurance coverage. It is true that the rehab facility can't tell you how long you will be able to stay. Depending on your coverage and your progress, it could be that they'll pay for a few weeks or a few months.

Welcome to SR! You will find a lot of support here.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Chunk!!
Old 09-02-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Chunk im not familiar with us rehab but hopefully there will be more posts that have a better idea than I do
Old 09-02-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hope you get on ok Chuck .
Old 09-02-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I got home from rehab a month ago. I am glad you are going! I have nothing but positive things to say about it. I am a different person.

Now I can't say all rehabs function like this but all of the ones I researched did it this way. Insurance bills per stage. They approve X amount of days per stage.

Detox first, up to 7 days more if needed. I was on for 7.
Then comes residential, which is the most restrictive stage. 7-14 days. I was in for 10.

Then comes Day/Night, less restrictive. 1-2 weeks. I was in 1 week.

Then IOP, least restrictive. At least 1 week, then whenever insurance runs out.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went to a 30-day facility in April. Here is my experience for what it is worth:

A lot of people were dismissed after only a few days or a week or two because of their insurance. I have what is considered good insurance, and they cut me off after 26 days....I paid the remaining 4 days out of pocket.

The insurance companies are concerned that the treatment is "medically necessary" because 30 days in a typical residential facility can be very expensive. They also want to see that the patient is making progress, and following the program and responding to treatment. Each patient is typically assigned a therapist and they are responsible for reporting the patient's progress. There were some people in with me that wouldn't attend the lectures, were uncooperative with staff, etc. Some of them were eventually dismissed early because their insurance companies decided they were throwing good money after bad. In some of these cases, they were probably correct.

On the other end, and this was my case according to my therapist, some people were dismissed before 30 days because they were doing "too well" in the sense that they were in a better position where an IOP program might be the better, more cost-effective option for them. Frankly, these were typically the alcoholics as opposed to the opiate or meth addicts. I was assigned immediately to an outpatient program that met daily for two weeks, then transitioned to an 8-week IOP program that met 3 times a week. The insurance did not balk at paying for the whole period for either of these.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
There were some people in with me that wouldn't attend the lectures, were uncooperative with staff, etc.
There were many people at my rehab like this. But I found out fast enough that those who acted badly or didn't do any work did not choose to be there to help themselves. They were there for legal reasons, or they had an ultimatum from their spouse or their parents were going to kick them out if they didn't go, etc.

Op, you will meet these people. Don't let them bring you down or let them interfere with your work. They were easy to avoid for me because I found that they congregated with others who did not want to be there. Try and ignore them. Hopefully there will be a strong staff that takes control when it gets out of hand.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Most paid rehabs have advocates that will work with insurance companies to make the case that you need to be in treatment as long as possible. The truth is, it's to the rehab's benefit to keep there too, from a financial standpoint.

I have pretty good insurance and they tried to kick me out after 20 days. And I had come directly from the ICU to rehab. The advocate got me the full 30, and I am forever grateful.

Rehab saved my life and AA gave me my life back.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
It all depends on your insurance coverage. It is true that the rehab facility can't tell you how long you will be able to stay. Depending on your coverage and your progress, it could be that they'll pay for a few weeks or a few months.

Welcome to SR! You will find a lot of support here.
Ditto that. And, IME, when I was inpatient it was a place that had weekly authorization in coordination with my insurance. So my best advice is to go about your program as they direct it, and not think about when you are/aren't getting out. Do know that it could be pretty short notice (ie a day) when it ends. Check your insurance policy or call the carrier and get them to explain your benefits; many policies have limits on mental health/substance abuse care, both in- and outpatient.

Good luck.