Notices

concert thursday.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

concert thursday.

Going to a concert thursday with some buddys theres going to be alot of drinking so this will be the real test for my 1 month sobriety. I have to work friday so thats going to be my reason to tell them when they ask why im not drinking since no one really knows I gave up drinking. Last time I went to a concert I drank so much I dont even remember it. Im tired of that bs so this time will be one I'll actually remember. Plus all the money you spent once you get in the show is also a reminder to not drink 10$ a beer im all set .
I think im ready for this so only time will tell. No one can make me drink besides myself.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I hate to see people "test" their sobriety. Hope it works out for you.

Heavy drinking was part and parcel of the concert experience for me. It was two years after I sobered up before I felt comfortable to attend my first sober concert and not be worried about drinking.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hope you enjoy the concert, alcohol definitely isn't needed to enjoy yourself!!
Old 08-23-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well I have to test it sooner or later . Plus this is black sabbaths last tour I have to see them one of my favorite bands . When ever I was going through tough times id throw on some sabbath and feel better. Im going to bring a paper with all reasons not to drink if I do get the urge .
Old 08-23-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

But after a month ?
Old 08-23-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by foryoumyson View Post
Im going to bring a paper with all reasons not to drink if I do get the urge .
Why not share those reasons with your friends. Being accountable for your sobriety is a good reason not to drink.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would also agree that a concert environment that is rife with alcohol is not a good idea with only a month of sobriety.

The key to lasting sobriety, in my humble opinion, is to place it practically above all else. I only state this because I personally quit from a state of utter desperation, and frankly had no other choice. Put your sobriety first, and back out from the concert; down the line you'll realize you gave yourself a great gift.

Kind regards.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by foryoumyson View Post
Well I have to test it sooner or later . .
I don't think you do.

It took me many months, but when I was ready, it wasn't a test. I knew for sure I was ready.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I will not weigh in on whether or not you should go. Your call and hey, I just recently went and saw Guns N Roses.... and no one could have told me not to go. Had to fly to see the show.. renew my passport ..it was a spendy undertaking.
I sobered up yesterday...and I WISH I had sobered up BEFORE the show.

I recall very little...and that SUCKS. You have no idea how much that sucks. I wish I had been present for every minute.

DO NOT waste your time and energy and money and not savour every minute of the show. If you're a fan, watch the show. If I could do it over again, I would NOT have drank at GNR. Uh uh no way.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nonblonde View Post
If you're a fan, watch the show. If I could do it over again, I would NOT have drank at GNR. Uh uh no way.
Out of interest and relevant to the topic, what would you have done differently? More accountability, mentioning to people beforehand, more support, more precautions?

I think there is a way to make it through, it's not something I would have done so early on, but on the other hand just showing up and hoping for the best is asking for trouble, we talk of plans all the time, but the plan for a concert 1 month in would need to be super watertight to the point the only other alternative is to not attend.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have alot of friends in recovery, long term and they go to alot of concerts, but between them they have like hundreds of hours of recovery/sober time!
They always go in groups, all sober people!
Im almost at a month sober but I dont trust my illness to not sabotage everything I have worked so hard for. Its powerful, baffling and cunning and is just waiting to take my down!
Ill pass on concerts for now, but once I get sometime ( like a year or two) under my belt, WATCH OUT WORLD! I love music and concerts!
Old 08-23-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Catch 22

You can do this. I am 3 months sober now and I did not change my social life except perhaps tp leave a bit earlier than others. I have to confess though that a concert or sport event will be different. Still, best of luck.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleKnight View Post
Out of interest and relevant to the topic, what would you have done differently? More accountability, mentioning to people beforehand, more support, more precautions?

I think there is a way to make it through, it's not something I would have done so early on, but on the other hand just showing up and hoping for the best is asking for trouble, we talk of plans all the time, but the plan for a concert 1 month in would need to be super watertight to the point the only other alternative is to not attend.
Interesting question PK since I had not sobered prior to going BUT I actually did consider bringing my 13 year old niece so I WOULD stay sober for the show. In the end, it was too costly to bring her so I went with a gal pal (who has spent her fair share of time in and out of rehab)....

If I had sobered prior to the show...even 2 days prior to the show ..no one could have stopped me from going. And poster has said not going is not an option...

If it were me, my companions would know I was sober though....
Old 08-23-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Why not share those reasons with your friends. Being accountable for your sobriety is a good reason not to drink.
Second this.

If you choose to go, do consider telling someone in the group that you're not drinking. I had to go to a work thing only 6 weeks into sobriety and I was nervous. I had confided in one of my close friends who was also going and so stayed close to her all evening. As Carl says, it kept me accountable.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 30 days fyms

I guess that if you own a vehicle you could drive to the concert as a bit of added incentive not to drink

I am assuming it is an indoor venue in which case you could arrive later than you would normally to avoid the pre concert drinking.
It is not ideal but I understand how you feel

PS - I reckon there is a fair chance that it isn't Black Sabbath's last tour, they love it too much to quit
Old 08-23-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Foryou, I don't often post, but read a lot and often my opinion is counter to many of the denizens on SR. I respect their stances, but I also know what works for me and my position is that it's ME that had to change. And I have. And I've not once shied away from going to a concert, a party, or any other social event because alcohol was present. I'm not depriving myself of anything; I'm gaining a sober life.

All of the above is a very long worded way of stating that IMHO you should go to the concert. Enjoy it and stay sober. If somebody asks why, a curt and polite reply is all that is necessary.

Sabbath....I first saw them at NYC's Madison Square Garden in 1974. The opening act was some band from Boston that was promoting their second album, but wasn't yet popular enough to be the headliner for an arena show. You may have heard of the opening act, it was Aerosmith. :-)
Old 08-23-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I just went to my first concert sober (14 months in) and I brought a friend in recovery with me. Be careful. I know for the first 9 months I stayed far away from alcohol and venues serving alcohol....

If you are set on going can you book end your concert? Make a plan to call a sober friend before you walk into the concert and a plan to call as soon as the concert ends (call, not text - meaning have a conversation)? I know I needed people to keep me accountable in the early days...
Old 08-23-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I might get flack for this, but whatever. Look, I went and saw Guns and Roses the 2nd day after I quit. And you know what, it wasn't that bad. First off, the concert was completely packed. Every restaurant and beer line had a huge wait for anything. I only managed to have 1 diet coke the whole night. And a side benefit, I only had to use the restroom once because again, LONG lines. You'll see other people looking/acting stupid and starting to stink about 2 hours into the show. Make yourself the designated driver, get yourself another sober person to text throughout the night. If I can do it, you can do it.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

"I think im ready for this so only time will tell"

that statement says your not ready.
"I think" is a key word\ for I might drink - it keeps the door open a crack.

Words like "I think" or I will "try" not to drink are maybe NOT a no - I WONT drink
Be true to yourself.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by livingnow View Post
"I think im ready for this so only time will tell"

that statement says your not ready.
"I think" is a key word\ for I might drink - it keeps the door open a crack.

Words like "I think" or I will "try" not to drink are maybe NOT a no - I WONT drink
Be true to yourself.
I respectfully disagree. Have you ever been at the starting line of a marathon, an ultra marathon, a century bicycle race, or faced an MMA opponent? I have and in every instance there was some minor element of doubt no matter how confident I was that I properly trained. Be it a concert or an endurance event, unexpected situations can arise; all we can do is be prepared to handle eventualities and, especially as a first timer in said event, acknowledge that challenges may occur and have a game plan to deal with them, which in my book is being fore armed.