Notices

drunk 15 years now sobering up

Old 08-08-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drunk 15 years now sobering up

Hi peeps. I came here to talk to people like me and people sobered up because im getting sober and have no one to talk to or ask questions. Im 33. I have been drinking about a 12 pack everyday and smoking weed since high school. I quit smoking weed about a year ago or so no problem. I got put on probation and just never looked back. **** just makes me paranoid anymore. But the booze. I love the booze. And i been a pretty successful functioning drunk. But the past few months or so i just been losing my taste for it. I cut back to every other day. Then just weekends. Then just once or twice a week. Now for the past month or so its been once a week. I want to start exercising but im soooooo tired. How long until the brain fog goes away and i have energy? I had it pretty bad. Withdrawl was extreme. I would hallucinate and have seizures. Those have pretty much subsided. I remember waking up screaming seeing snakes on the wall. The funny thing is im not afraid of snakes. I was just confused or something. Haha. But yea now i drink once a week and it usually just serves as a reminder of why i dont really like drinking anymore. I pretty much quit smoking cigs too. I have a cigar every otherday or something. But thats my story. Im really lonely and just want someone to talk to
Old 08-08-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcoem coingod

I think withdrawal varies a lot from person to person. I was a ling time daily drinker all day so for me it took about 90 days to lose the 'fog' and get some energy back.

As long as we keep drinking, no matter how infrequently, I think we're reinforcing the brain fog and fatigue?

The healing starts when we stop completely

D
Old 08-08-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yea. Its definitely not going to get better if we keep drinking. I think thats my main motivation. I want to feel better mentally and physically. Ive had a few moments already but they dont last long. I just want to sleep all day. The funny thing is when i was drunk i never noticed how much it effected me. I would just wake up put on my war face and grind out the work day until i got home to pop a bottle.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well you are not alone that's for sure! I'm at 5 weeks without alcohol and I still am experiencing brain fog but it is getting better. I didn't have hallucinations though. Hopefully you will decide to quit altogether because I think that may be the only way to get a clear head. I'm still sluggish and tired but it's for different reasons! Good luck in your journey
Old 08-08-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you mean!!! I really do - it is very strange. I wonder if we ran off sugar spikes from the booze and a sort of grim determination to charge through the day while hungover to prove to ourselves that we are "fine" and technically functional.

I worked out and hiked hungover even.

Now closing in on month five of zero drinks, and Im tired too! It is like Im a lighweight now ha. I think it takes a good while to really heal, and when you drink, it sets you back in the process.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Man that drinking once a week is scary. What happens if you get back to the way you were drinking. The next withdrawal could be a whole lot worse.
I woke up several times thinking my house was on fire. I could even smell smoke. Id run around the house yelling woah fire fire! There was no fire or smoke when the panic settled. Scary stuff. Never again for me.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi coingod - very good to have you with us. You'll find plenty of encouragement here - we all understand what you're going through.

I was exhausted when I quit after drinking most of my life. We've put ourselves through so much - mentally & physically. It takes time to heal. Like Dee, it took me about 3 mos. to begin to perk up. You're on your way.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'd like to add if your clear to exercise. It has made a HUGE difference in my energy level. The first week was a bit rough but now I love it.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ThANKS everyone for chatting with me. Madgirl i think you said it perfect. Definitely how i feel about it looking back. And the once a week thing doesnt scare me. Even though i been doing it i have zero desire to drink every day. Im looking back now like how did i do that? For 15 years!!! Sometimes i think i drank my life away. What a waste. But i cant binge drink everyday. Somehow that just naturally left me. I forget most of my 20s. I know i did some cool stuff but i forget most of it. And the bad stuff i probably did when i was drunk i forget too. Haha.

I went to a cookout Saturday. Drank all day. It was about week before that since my last drink. I remember at the end of the night feeling like ****. I dont know why i still drink anymore. It just makes everything worse except those few hours your blacked out. I think i might be depressed. Or maybe its the alcohol that makes me depressed. Vicious cycle eh? You know what shocked me lately? I actually have dreams now. Or at least vivid dreams i remember. For the past years i forgot what it was like to have dreams.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome CG
Old 08-09-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Its nice to talk to people who can relate. In my life i have nobody to talk to because i hide how bad my drinking is. Most people probably think im an occasional drinker or weekend warrior at the most. I woke up to day and had some energy at first. Now im tired. I have a job interview later. Gonna just nap until then. Hopefully i can get enough motivation to hit the gym today.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Coingod!!