Totally OT - playdates

Old 07-15-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Totally OT - playdates

I have always thought of myself as an introvert, and sometimes I even think of myself as socially awkward, and do have some mild social anxiety, though it has not had too much of a negative impact on my life, I don't think. but definitely an introvert.

As my kids have gotten a little older (3 and 4) , "playdates" have become a thing for them. A thing that I am really trying for their sakes to be comfortable with, but that I really dread, because it means I have to be social too. I wasn't even sure what was appropriate to do in terms of, am I supposed to just drop them off and come back for them? Or should I stay? Will they think I'm weird if I stay? Will they think I'm weird in general? I did come to the conclusion after my google research, that it is not generally expected that the parent will just drop off for playdates until age 6 or so. Plus I don't think my 3 year old would want me to leave anyway.

So far we've only had playdates with mothers that I do feel somewhat comfortable with, at my house and at theirs, and it has been okay, but tonight we are going to a home with a mother who honestly kind of intimidates me. She reminds me of a "popular girl" in high school, the ones I always felt inferior to. Plus she's 10 years younger than me... But I suppose we do have a lot in common when it comes to children, and will hopefully have enough to talk about for the duration .....
I'm just really sort of dreading it.... And I'll be glad when it's over.

Just wanted to vent that I guess, thanks for reading.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

One thing I've noticed is that life in general evens out the playing field once people get a few years away from high school. I know what you mean about the "popular girls"--I wouldn't say I was bullied, but I did occasionally get picked on and snubbed, but years later these same people turned out to be pretty nice.

Think about some good, general topics of conversation. As moms of young kids, you have a lot in common right there. As you get to know her, you might find you have a lot of other things in common.

Hugs!
Old 07-15-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Lexie
You're right, and I have noticed that as well, as someone who was occasionally picked on too.
But it's still hard for me to not go back to feeling like the awkward teenager in situations like this unless I really talk myself out of it!
Old 07-15-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

when my daughter was in Montessori pre-school, one of the other kid's moms intimidated the hell out of me. she was just so dang.....together, elegant, and i am SO not those things. i didn't even want to let her in to my HOUSE!!!

my daughter is 33 now and that mom and i work for the same cancer research organization. we run in to each other now and then, she is STILL freakin' elegant and manicured and all done up, and we update each other on our kids. but today all that lacquered up "perfection" and killer shoes is starting to look a bit.........much. i'm 56 so she can't be THAT far behind me. but she "needs" that armor.......and i don't, well it's a bit late in the game for me anyways. but when we are hugging and asking about each other's offspring, we are just MOMS......