Notices

losing grip of the program

Old 09-28-2004, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tha toastah

losing grip of the program

a couple minutes ago i found myself thinking "its ok to drink, i can see my old friends" and last night i stayed up untill 3 am (i got into bed at 10pm) thinking about old times.. people places and things... they wont leave my mind. i found myself missing this one person, i dont know how to leave all these people behind. well i have, but not in my mind. ive been telling myself its a matter of time.. i guess thats the only thing? anyway thanks
Old 09-28-2004, 07:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Its ok to drink ... IF

you ...

want what you had when drunk
want to return to the way things were
want to start over again on a day one when you are reminded by example why you seeked a sober life

Read some posts to remind you of what was. Read some posts to remond you of what is, and read some posts to remind you of what can be. Both the good and the bad.

Remember the steps and use them daily
and remember that the first sip can start us back to where we don't want to go.

Last edited by best; 09-28-2004 at 07:33 AM. Reason: had to buy a vowel
Old 09-28-2004, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Another Long Rookie Thread...

Don't end up like me, my man. I am a miserable wreck because I got confident in my career and personal successes and wanted to get back to my old "normal" social self. Now I've wrecked my career and probably my relationship because I thought it was OK to drink. It's never OK to drink. Think of alcohol as your worst damn enemy, because it is.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

My mind does that to me too sometimes. I start missing my old best friend and start thinking I should find her and see if she is clean now. When I know if my heart that when/if she gets clean she will come find me.

When that happens to me I try and write a gratitude list. Remind myself of all that I have to be grateful for since getting sober. Go to a meeting today if you can. And you did the first right thing by coming her and posting about it.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

People/places/things was my main trigger in relapsing for a few years. I had to want this recovery to finally get it. If everyone who needed this program were in the meetings, we'd have to have meetings in stadiums, our programs are for people who want it. I want to stay clean today.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You have gotten some great responses here...

I have come to understand that relapse is a cycle.
Charlotte Kasl breaks it down in to 5 parts.

1. A Fleeting Idea. (just pops into your head)

2. Toying with the fantasy.(Your brain chemistry changes while imagining all the good times had while drinking, this is when the addictive trance can take hold. Now you are playing with fire.)

3. Making plans.

(you start obsessing and making plans for the addictive acting out. You disconnect at a deeper level from the present.)

4. Acting out the addiction.
( For a little while you might feel better, but sooner or later you will pay a price)

5. Hangover.
(reality sets in...)

Just something to be aware of....watch the signs, it appears that you are already toying with the fantasy.

I have to work hard at getting all the addictive brains garbage out of my head and replace it with thoughts that are conducive to my recovery.
Meditation on the breath
Yoga
Excercise

Take charge and put that primitive part of your brain in its proper place.

Most of all, be kind to yourself my friend.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

(((tobstah)))

It's easy to get into a rut and want to fall back into old familiar ways. The key is to reroute ourselves from dangerous territories. Find a safe path and safe friends. You're not alone. I'm finding myself wanting to fall back into familiar routines. I'm carefully weighing the consequences and they don't measure up. It's not worth losing the progress I've made. Keep up the fight. One weak moment could really screw things up. I say no thanks to the guilt, disappointment and defeat...Good luck and stay strong.

LeAnne