Notices

Recovery is More than Not Using

Old 06-15-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery is More than Not Using

In the past I was under the misconception that if I could just not use then I would be "cured". Really, what is needed is for me to work on my entire self- mind, body, and soul. I also had to change my entire life, since before I was in denial I thought that "Oh I am doing everything right except that I use drugs" when really my entire life style was unhealthy.

I can not stress enough how important it is to take care of any underlying mental health issues. Many addicts have underlying issues, and even if it turns out you do not have underlying mental health issues would it really hurt you to go get a full psychological evaluation by a psychiatrist that specializes in addiction? What do you have to lose?

Also, substance abuse counseling has been invaluable. To sit down and talk things out with a counselor can really help you realize things that you need to work on or change in your life. We are masters at denial as addicts, getting an unbiased opinion never hurts.

Health wise, taking vitamins, exercising, eating a healthy diet, and making sure you have a good sleep schedule are also extremely important to a solid recovery. The healthier you are mentally and physically the better you will feel and the stronger you will be. When we are using we truly abuse our bodies, shouldn't we take care of our bodies now that we are trying to achieve a lasting recovery? Meditation, yoga, and breathing techniques have all helped me get out of my own head and really calm down when I would start to get worked up also.

I used to think that people were full of it when they said people, places, and things. Well, when I truly tried to revamp my life I finally realized that all my "friends" were just drug buddies, that all the places I was holding onto so tightly were places filled with addicts, and that if I wanted to be healthy I needed to start doing healthy activities that moved me forward and not kept me in the past. Changing my phone number, deleting Facebook, and changing where I was going all really helped make being clean a lot easier.

Being transparent with those around you is also a big step in a true recovery. Lies really hold you down and keep you in an unhealthy mind set. How can you expect your loved ones to truly support you if they do not know what you are going through? Being honest with my family was one of the hardest things I had ever done, but there is not a day that I regret it. Being honest with myself has also helped me not move backwards- keeping a journal has helped me keep myself in check.

I just thought I'd put up a post talking more about how recovery is more than not using, it is a complete life over haul. It is a lot of work and can be scary and daunting, but it is worth every second of it and every ounce of energy that it takes.

Have a wonderful day YOU CAN DO THIS!
Old 06-15-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by AdelineRose View Post
...recovery is more than not using, it is a complete life over haul.
^This!
Old 06-15-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fantastic post. Spot on.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, indeed!

People, places, practices. My dad said it to me long before he specifically meant about my recovery, and it is the Gospel truth.

Thanks for this post - great to read through for me, today.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support!
Old 06-15-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree, spot on!

Thank you, AdelineRose.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you AdelineRose for sharing!
Old 06-15-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)