Opiate users and hats

Old 06-14-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opiate users and hats

I know, I know, it's not my job to figure out why he does the things he does! I've let go of him, but I'm just so curious!

As some of you may know from a recent post, STBX showed up to court date with flu-like symptoms. I imagine he had abstained from use because he was afraid of being tested, and was experiencing withdrawal. Then we were dismissed and told to make an appointment for mediation, but STBX took a good half hour to get there. When he did, he was wearing his hat and had a noticeably different demeanor. He was jittery, his leg seemed restless, and he could not stop messing with his hat. It was like out of nowhere his head would become extremely hot and he would just pop it off as if he couldn't do it fast enough. Then a few minutes later, he would put it back on and pop it off again.

Like I said, I know it's not my place to worry about him, and I really do think I've let go of that. But I am just so darn curious- why?! Why wear it in the first place and why all the fussing with it?

Old 06-14-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He was probably high on something and wore a hat thinking he will be less visible You probably already know this My used to do the same thing - put on a hat and think I don't notice
Old 06-14-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

^^^^^^^lol!
Old 06-15-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hechosedrugs,

Never saw the hat thing with my daughter, but that is probably because she would not dare wear a hat ........it would mess up her hair!

Have definitely seen the restless leg though when she was in early and post withdrawal. Post withdrawal, her leg moved constantly for several months. As soon as she sat down one leg would start moving nonstop.

Jim
Old 06-15-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by glitterdeva View Post
He was probably high on something and wore a hat thinking he will be less visible You probably already know this My used to do the same thing - put on a hat and think I don't notice
I have no doubt he went to his car and used as soon as he thought he was in the clear. I guess I'm just wondering what is it about opiates that made him choose to wear the hat and then fuss with it so much. You are probably right that he felt less visible. I wonder if they make your head go hot and cold, though?
Old 06-15-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hechosedrugs View Post
I have no doubt he went to his car and used as soon as he thought he was in the clear. I guess I'm just wondering what is it about opiates that made him choose to wear the hat and then fuss with it so much. You are probably right that he felt less visible. I wonder if they make your head go hot and cold, though?
My jaw dropped when I read this...My husband was acting so strange a few months ago before we separated and went out and bought this silly looking hat and came home with it on. I was thinking wow that's strange he never wears hats and he's acting so "off". I swear he was on something and the hat was making me question him even more. So true that they are probably thinking they can hide themselves behind the hat.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

His problem drug wasn't opiates but hubby always thought he could cover it with hats, sunglasses, jackets, etc before he got sober.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow. My son used to have hats, too. I think you're on to something.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hats are hip. Poppin a hat on and off takes the focus away from the scene and is a fun game, when you're a mess.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I ran into my ex a couple of months ago and he was wearing a hat too.