Notices

day 6/weight loss

Old 06-01-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 6/weight loss

Today is day 6 and so far it's going okay. I guess because this time I'm more determined than ever. I'm starting to workout a little as well. Did anyone loose weight after quitting drinking?
Old 06-01-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 6. Awesome. I think you might have posted this in the wrong forum...I could be wrong. But a mod will probably move it if it is.

Anywho, I'm not one of the lucky ones that loses weight when I quit. Maybe some bloat, but unless I really apply healthy eating habits, the weight stays and usually goes up.

Today is day 3, no sugar or processed carbs. So I'll be trimming down this month in anticipation for a trip to Cali...bath suit time.

Exercise helps me so much in my efforts to stay sober. You won't regret making a regular part of your routine. Good on ya!
Old 06-01-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I lost weight when I stopped drinking. Probably about 8-10 lbs....but now I have such a sweet tooth that I've gained it all back!
Old 06-01-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

for me it was the opposite I put on weight but I was very underweight
Old 06-01-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes.. Cutting out calories from booze plus walking 2-3 miles a day.... Lost 5 lbs in my first 5 weeks.

Also, eating better.... No fast food or late night junk food binges
Old 06-01-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Put in some exercise and a reasonable diet and you'll lose weight. I went from 220 lbs to 180 in 8 months. I haven't really watched the diet much but do put in 5 to 7 days of aerobic exercise a week.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

Well, I gained 20 pounds in the last 7 months after I relapsed. Those extra calories add up fast, plus I didn't have any inhibitions about what I ate during and after drinking. It's been 14 days since my last drink. Since then I've lost 6 pounds. Of course there's no longer those extra alcohol calories, plus I'm making better food choices. Because I'm drinking a lot of seltzer water and club soda, I am quite bloated. I hope that evens out.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was also underweight when I was drinking and when I stopped. I gained a healthy amount of weight and am now back to normal. Give it time.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was severely underweight when I was drinking and using. Now I try to focus on eating healthy and getting some work outs in. Nothing drastic, just making sure I stay healthy.

Our bodies go through a lot of changes when we first get sober. The most important thing is that we are kind to ourselves and that we try each day to move closer to the ultimate goal of a strong recovery and being healthy overall.- physically, mentally, and spiritually,
Old 06-01-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went thru a period where I traded my alcohol addiction for a workout addiction. All it did was set me up for failure & disappointment when the weight didn't fall off like I thought it would.

Then I decided to mainly concentrate on being sober from alcohol. I found it was too much pressure to try to cut out booze AND lose weight at the same time.

Be gentle with yourself. The weight will eventually come off. Once the booze is gone, the rest will fall into place - give it time.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncorked View Post
Yes, I lost weight when I stopped drinking. Probably about 8-10 lbs....but now I have such a sweet tooth that I've gained it all back!
You remind me of me. Especially the sweet tooth now part.
Mountainman
Old 06-01-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Toni,

I had also gained weight while drinking. In five months I have lost 32.5 pounds. I started Weight Watchers at the same time as giving up wine, which helped me shift back to healthy eating. Try not to stress about the number on the scale and focus on healthy eating and starting/continuing some sort of exercise program.