Notices

Reaching out

Old 05-31-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reaching out

Last December I ended up in Detox for three days. I quit drinking for two months and then one drink turned into two and so on. I'm not sure why I drink as I really don't enjoy it. I know now that I have a problem that I can not attack alone. I thought maybe I was above it as I have overcome addictions to Cocaine, Pain Killers, and DMT. But Alcohol is everywhere and it doesn't help that I'm a bartender. I have been speaking to a therapist and they have suggested that antidepressants might be the answer as I have some deeper issues from my childhood. Is PTSD real even from 20 years ago? Are pills really the answer? Obviously, I do need to find a different job and different friends. Today is the day I quit and I'm looking everywhere for answers. Any suggestions?
Old 05-31-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I've been on AD's for years and they didn't help me with my drinking. Stopping drinking helped the AD's become more effective though. But it's best to listen to your Dr. Is he/she familiar with addiction?
Old 05-31-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, PTSD is real, even from long ago. I've been on antidepressants for many years but when I was drinking, they weren't effective, as alcohol is a depressant. Now that I'm sober, they work very well. I have found that antiDs, in addition to therapy, work very well to combat depression.

Welcome to the family! I'm glad you found us and I hope that our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

I agree with jd - ADs never helped me with drinking. In fact I think I was doing my body harm taking them and drinking at the same time (who knows?)
I don't want to dissuade you from trying them. I think for some people they are literally lifesavers and work very well for them, it just didn't happen that way with me. Also, you may not find success with the first one you try. Some ADs work differently for different people.
I think it would be good to work with a physician along with your therapist and be honest with your concerns. You do have a right to question any medication or health advice and ask for clarification or the whys they feel this is a path for you.
Congrats on Day 1 - I wish you all the best
Old 05-31-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for the responses. I will be meeting with my therapist on Friday. This site really is helping me learn some new things. I have one more question that I don't know how to deal with.
I have read that going through recovery with a significant other can complicate things and make me stop drinking for the wrong reasons. I have been with my girlfriend for 2 years and she is wonderful! But, she has some anxiety and doesn't trust me anymore when it comes to drinking. I have always been faithful to her but I have lied to her constantly about my drinking. I love her so much that I don't want to see her being brought down by my struggles. She is really supportive and I never have done anything wrong to her, but she hates seeing me struggle through this. Is it moral to end it between us to set her free and go at this alone? Or is it really just time for me to harden up and kick this? How much do I tell her about what I'm going through?
Old 05-31-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes. A person can suffer traumas say from childhood (in my case sexual abuse), develop PTSD, but maybe not experience attacks until later in life when the trauma is triggered. Google chronic vs acute PTSD. Have you been diagnosed?
An intersting book by Francine Shapiro called Getting Past Your Past is very enlightening. In my case subsequent traumas have aggregated the situation.

Is your therapist suggesting anti depressants for treating PTSD or depression?
Old 05-31-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just wanted to welcome you to SR!
Old 05-31-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flipflop1 View Post

Are pills really the answer?
Well, pills help some in early recovery so as to get over the rough spots.
For me they became just another addiction.
If you can stay sober without them that might be best?

Mountainmanbob
Old 05-31-2016, 11:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'd say tell her. The end she can make up her own mind about what she wants to do in an informed way. She can even seek support from AlAnon or similar is she knows what's going on.

I think most of us tend to be a little withdrawn in early sobriety. If she knows why you're being this way and why it's far less likely to cause her anxiety.