Notices

Over 5 months Still neurology issues

Old 05-30-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Over 5 months Still neurology issues

Over 5 months and still dealing with neurology issues brain fog no memory no concentration can't go anywhere because my neuro issues and vertigo won't quit..And I am tired and numb and stuck in derealization...Think something is busted upstairs..Memorial day weekend and any thought I have sends my neuro system into overdrive..I have 0 emotions..What happened? Just 3 months ago I was half human...I think the healing is taking me in the wrong direction..I am just stuck in neutral.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that you're feeling like this, Nofearbeer. What does your neurologist say?
Old 05-30-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Said you good no seizures..See psychiatry..So I did..through me on Zoloft...See her in 4 weeks..Hmmm starting on this stuff made things worse..She says it will get better...Hmmm..OK I,d like leave the house sometime so it would be nice for something work soon..my fear is that something is busted and getting worse over time
Old 05-30-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ah yes. I could have written your post at 5 months. If it helps, it's not all that unusual. If you've been around SR since January, perhaps you've come across a thread or two regarding PAWS (Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome)? There have been some recent threads that should reassure you that you're in good company.

PAWS is a catch-all term for any weird symptoms -- including and especially neurological -- that persist beyond the normal period for acute withdrawal. The symptoms you describe are pretty typical.

The most aggravating feature of PAWS for me was the frustration factor when I'd have a bad spell after thinking I was finally out of the woods. It was terribly hard not to get discouraged until I was able to realize that the emotions I was feeling (or wasn't feeling) -- the absence of pleasure, the discouragement, frustration and despair that I would never get any better -- were actually symptoms of the condition itself.

Take heart! Things got better for me eventually, and they WILL get better for you with more sober time!

Here's a good article that usually finds its way into threads about PAWS:

https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/
Old 05-30-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been through bouts of the "emotionless" feelings you're talking about. Right around 6 months. It did pass for me I'm happy to say and it has happened more than once on different levels of severity. Memory is still tough sometime and concentration usually depends on how much else I have going on, but it's better. I'm around 9 1/2 months. Hopefully it's just part of the cycle and healing for you, as I feel it was and still is for me. Keep us posted. Wishing you well.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with Adante. I've read a lot about this.. (PAWS). We should all be prepared for these symptoms as a possibility of recovery.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok that is all this is...Maybe I can get my psych to put me on gabapentin or something
Old 05-30-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
Ah yes. I could have written your post at 5 months. If it helps, it's not all that unusual. If you've been around SR since January, perhaps you've come across a thread or two regarding PAWS (Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome)? There have been some recent threads that should reassure you that you're in good company.

PAWS is a catch-all term for any weird symptoms -- including and especially neurological -- that persist beyond the normal period for acute withdrawal. The symptoms you describe are pretty typical.

The most aggravating feature of PAWS for me was the frustration factor when I'd have a bad spell after thinking I was finally out of the woods. It was terribly hard not to get discouraged until I was able to realize that the emotions I was feeling (or wasn't feeling) -- the absence of pleasure, the discouragement, frustration and despair that I would never get any better -- were actually symptoms of the condition itself.

Take heart! Things got better for me eventually, and they WILL get better for you with more sober time!

Here's a good article that usually finds its way into threads about PAWS:

https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/
This scares the SH*T out of me.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Question for people with PAWS: I'm entering the workforce again, and I have a fairly advanced career. Will PAWS interfere with my career if I already have trouble with chronic depression? This terrifies me.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Things get different, then we get neutral, then we begin to really heal and live again.

Give time time and keep healing!!!!
Old 05-30-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nofearnobeer View Post
Said you good no seizures..See psychiatry..So I did..through me on Zoloft...See her in 4 weeks..Hmmm starting on this stuff made things worse..She says it will get better...Hmmm..OK I,d like leave the house sometime so it would be nice for something work soon..my fear is that something is busted and getting worse over time
have you seen your PSP for a regular blood work up? There are a lot things that could play into those symptoms, many that may be readily resolved like a vitamin deficiency.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babescake View Post
This scares the SH*T out of me.
Me too and I am in the middle of it..
Old 05-30-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babescake View Post
Question for people with PAWS: I'm entering the workforce again, and I have a fairly advanced career. Will PAWS interfere with my career if I already have trouble with chronic depression? This terrifies me.
PAWS isn't a separate "condition" like depression. It's just a catch-all term for any withdrawal-type symptoms that persist or recur beyond the normal period for acute withdrawal from opiates or alcohol.

Most people don't experience PAWS, and the duration and severity of those who do varies enormously.

No point in borrowing trouble by worrying about things that may not happen and are beyond your control in any case. In the long term, the worst day with PAWS is still better than the best day drunk. PAWS is survivable; alcoholism is deadly.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ya know, Zoloft has some pretty significant side-effects. It's not for everyone. I would think about this "no emotions" thing and how things have gotten worse since starting Zoloft. Do NOT stop taking it without supervision, it can cause problems if you try to go off it cold.

I used to work in a lab that did a lot of pharmaceutical/drug reaction DNA testing. Zoloft is . . .um. . .read the black box warnings.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Babescake. I can obviously only speak for myself on this, work was one of the places I had the least amount of trouble with any of my symptoms. It is the safest place (second to home) where I feel most comfortable. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "advanced career" however I am in charge of more than 10 people at times and multiple projects. I did find it helpful for a few close people to know what was going on with me incase I had to excuse myself for any reason.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

CBC and hepatic look good..Mri and catscans and look good..my HPA.axis is deregulated..My entire system mind a body are whacked..somewhere between therapy and psych hopefully it will be corrected..anything besides headphones with Zen my mind's in overdrive..And I am a Zac Brown fan, but even that sends me way over right now
Old 05-30-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

CBC and hepatic look good..Mri and catscans and look good..my HPA.axis is deregulated..My entire system mind a body are whacked..somewhere between therapy and psych hopefully it will be corrected..anything besides headphones with Zen my mind's in overdrive..And I am a Zac Brown fan, but even that sends me way over right now
Time. The most important healing factor is time. It took more than 5 months of drinking to mess your brain up; it'll take more than 5 months for it to heal. Be patient.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

.Thank you..they have me out of work for PTSD and sleep deprivation and ADD tossed in which really gets crud messed up....Something tore loose...I hope all the pieces fall back in the right place..
Old 05-30-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm glad Andante posted because he has experienced, in my experience, one of the most extensive and longest enduring cases of PAWS. In other words, he's a great resource.

For those that are freaking out? Pls don't. Paws, in my experience is generally short lived. Frustrating, but manageable. And it most definitely doesn't happen to everyone.

That said, I can't talk these days. I'm usually pretty eloquent, but I'm a bumbling idiot. And bumble non stop in front of a teenager? She teases me non stop (not realizing that I'm pretty sensitive about it) because it is funny....sort of. I know it'll pass but , yeah. Yesterday I called the Red Hot Chili Peppers the red hot chili powders. Now this was good for a laugh but this stuff happens every other sentence. Ugh.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Me too and I am in the middle of it..
Explanation please...