Notices

4 Days and Struggling

Old 09-25-2004, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 Days and Struggling

This is my fourth day sober. I went to a movie with my wife and the guy it was drinking all the time. Man, I came out wanting a drink. I am kind of crabby and irritable today. Is this part of the not drinking... ???

HELP !! I don't want to cave.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Hockeyplayer, drink is everywhere - you don't realise until you try and stop! The craving will hang around for a while yet so you need to be on your guard for a while. I was really crabby for ages, not to much as because of the withdrawl, just because of the stress of having to change all my routines. When I was drinking, everything rotated around the next drink.

If you can get through today, you can get through tomorrow.

Keep it up, you're doing well.

Deg.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there. This is my second time around in recovery and it's day 2 for me. So you're not alone. It is tough, especially those killer beer commercials. I was in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina two weeks ago and everywhere you looked, there was a Bud Light billboard. That's what did me in. But just remember, you don't have to drink, just for today. Keep on keeping on!
Old 09-25-2004, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

It gets better.
Knowing you can get crabby, you can keep aware of that and try to react in a softer manner.

Congratulations on the days collected.

Congratulations to you as well Lilalkie.

Welcome to a better life as we stay sober
Old 09-25-2004, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Time helps a lot with cravings. As you go on, you will re-learn how to have a god time w/o alcohol. I would suggest checking out a recovery program. It is hard to quit alone. Getting involved in AA helped me out a lot. Best of luck to you!
Old 09-25-2004, 09:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's part of 'not drinking' at first. The good news is the urges diminish in intensity and duration the longer you go without drinking. Urges may seem unbearable, but you CAN stand them. Try this: rate the urge to drink. Keep a log. Write it down, and give it a rating on a 1 - 10 scale. Note the time. Do that each day, each time you have an urge. Heck, give the urge a name, and argue with it if you like.
Check that log each day at the end of the day. How many were there, and how'd they fare on the Urge Scale?
It's hard to see progress day to day, but it is happening. Rewarding yourself a little when you don't act on an urge is helpful, too. Put some money in a jar, or buy a small package of fancy ice cream.
And remember my favorite quote from Abe Lincoln: 'This too shall pass.'
Take care,
Don S
Old 09-26-2004, 04:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thaks for the Help

Thank all of you for the encouragement. I made it through the day. I woke up this morning a bit cruddy feeling, but I will make it.

You guys are great.... thanks so much for the help. I love the ideas. I am going to keep a log too. Nice to know that there are people on the same road to recovery that I am.

Let's make it another day. Whew .. one day at a tiime is no joke. Sometimes it is one hour at a time.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep goin!

Well done hockeyplayer28

Your a day ahead of me and I cant believe how much these guys are helping. The only thing i know is that I do not want to go back to where I was 4 days ago, it can only get better!

Good luck.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Congratulations to all on your sober days! The desire to drink does lessen with time! That is great to know! The thought to drink seems to stick around, but that doesn't mean we have to drink, just that we are alcoholics and have those thoughts. I laugh now because when we drive by a gas station, I'll almost break my neck to see what the sale price for beer is!! Always catchs my eye!!

You're doing great!
Missy