Notices

I don't know what to do

Old 05-26-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down I don't know what to do

In a way I feel stupid because of this but I'm also at the point where I need to figure out what to do, I can't talk to nobody about it because I don't think they'll understand, I'm 24 years of age and I feel because I'm young, nobody will understand the bigger picture and that's why I find myself hear today, joining up to this and seeking help from others, in the past few years, I've been drinking a lot and when I do I can't have 1 or 2 I always drink until I literally black out and I can't remember, I feel this is stupidity, and is dangerous and I try to just have the odd one but it never goes that way, I can't understand why I do it and why I can't stop myself, I feel like I need to grow up and not rely on my friends on getting me home safely, I want to go out and enjoy my night without getting extremely intoxicated. I have recently realised what I'm doing and now I just want to know where to start myself from here.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. If this is a new revelation for you, you might read through this site and learn about alcoholism. There are lots of experienced members and they're willing to share their experience. And advice, if that's what you'd like.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Foradvice. No need to feel stupid. Sounds like you are just concerned about your well being. There are lots of people here who will help you through this.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You found this site, you joined, you posted and you want to change and get better. So in a way, you've already started. Welcome.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello, thankyou. It would be great to hear people's advice, and yes I'm concerned about my well being, because of how I drink, nobody wants me out and just decide to plan ahead without me because I get reckless and I've recently been slapped in the face and realised it, I have my partner who's spoke to me and asked me to stop because it worries him and he can't handle it nomore, I try often to not to drink spirits and that changes me completely but any alcohol still gives me black outs. The reason j feel so stupid is because I do this to myself. Im not 100% sure how this site works as I've literally just joined.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I think it would be a good idea to go to an AA meeting. There is almost certainly one near you. That would give you an opportunity to see what support exists in your own community, and might be the help you need for sober living.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As my drinking got worse and the blackouts started, I alienated more and more people. The social invitations became fewer and far between. I was such an unpredictable drunk that I even my own family won't have me over to their house. My drinking started to become a problem at your age. Don't wait until you're a social outcast like me. Get some help.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

whoa 24 I wish i were 24 again and decide to took care of this. It is fun now you are only 24 but believe it will get worst. do dsomething now before you reck your life and believe me it will happen. avoid the aguist and the regret break the cycle and break free. I envy you i wish i were 24 again and had a second change.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi foradvice

sometimes the answer needs to be no more complex than 'because I'm an alcoholic' (or 'because I have a drinking problem' if you think that fits you better)

I think the solution is the same in both cases. I really love being sober - I rediscovered the real me, a me I'd forgotten about.

I hope you'll join us and stick around a while

D
Old 05-26-2016, 11:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Foradvice! It's good to have you with us.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Foradvice2411 View Post
I want to go out and enjoy my night without getting extremely intoxicated.
Me too, that's why I don't drink anymore.

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-27-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

A good start was coming here. I'm glad you decided to join and post. There's a lot of great information here. A good eye opener is to read posts. You'll find that you see a lot of yourself in posts and more importantly, you're not alone.

Please stick with this, if you're blacking out every time you're drinking that's a really bad path. You're young and you have plenty of time to turn this around.

This is a great starting point. Hang in there and read, read read and post, post post!
Old 05-27-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Fora,

Once we have a couple of drinks we feel so amazing. The euphoria hits us. We chase it w a couple (or 6) more drinks. Suddenly, we are in forget stuff mode..

I started counting how many it took to get there. About 5 or 6 double shots. That sometimes stopped me long enough to eat. Once I ate, I could drink all night or stop and not forget stuff. So at 3 shots I would eat. Then sometimes I would stop.

There is my testimony.

What I have been doing to stay clean is remembering that I am proudly clean and I am an addict (alcoholic?).

For me...I don't have an AA sponser, I have my family. They need me to be sober. I won't put them through a relapse. I don't want my son to have that burden.

Do you have family you are hurting w your drinking?
Old 05-27-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

have a little faith in yourself....

you knew enough to come here and share what's going on for you.

You're blessed to even be aware enough to recognize there's a problem at your age. I sure wish I'd learned about my own addictions at 24, and made more of the years between then and 40 when I finally began to accept addiction was a problem for me and that clean and sober life was the life I wanted.

You said; "I want to go out and enjoy my night without getting extremely intoxicated."

For me, the way I found to do just that was to embrace sobriety and to life my life present and real.... I know that may seem like a daunting and unattainable thing as well, but it really isn't. Life without drinking isn't dull - it is far more exciting and rewarding and valuable than any bender can ever be.

stick around.