Notices

Thank you

Old 05-13-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank you

So I took the plunge and joined SR and made my first post the other day and received some wonderful messages of support In that message I stated that I hated every second of my sobriety and this is true for the reasons that I stated (in a very looooong post). However this is an intolerable situation and I really must dig deep and try and move myself forward. Feeling the way I do isn't a life it's just an endless struggle of getting from one day to another. I have absolutely no belief in myself and I really need to find a way to do so. My friends and my girlfriend can see something in me that I can't so maybe I should step back and look through their eyes. That's kind of a big assumption but I'm guessing they wouldn't be around if I was as bad as I believe myself to be.

So my first tentative steps towards a little sense of self belief was joining SR and tomorrow I'll be contacting my local counselling service. The waiting list for this is a long one so in the short term I'm hoping tomorrow will be a good day as I have a full weekend off work. I've always had a passing interest in photography and my partner bought me a camera for christmas. I've yet to take it out yet so if the weathers fine I'm going to venture through my front door and point my camera at some unsuspecting trees and wildlife. If you knew my home town you would now that some of the wildlife includes people If the weathers not so good (this is England after all) I'll agonise on whether I can afford to treat myself to the new Uncharted or Doom games.,and buy one anyway. Followed by more agonising. My alcohol advisor and by that I mean the person who helped get me off the drink and not the person who told me what to drink, always said I should treat myself for staying sober and I have very rarely done so.

In short what I'm trying to say is tomorrow I'm going to take a deep breath and at least try and enjoy the moment. It might not work but there will be other days. It took me along time with many many slips along the way before I managed to reach my two years sober and I have no illusions that my steps towards recovery will be as equally hard. But whatever I feel tomorrow if I can manage another day sober that is at least another battle won.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Susurration View Post
. But whatever I feel tomorrow if I can manage another day sober that is at least another battle won.
I love this sentence . I hope tomorrow brings you Joy!
Old 05-13-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Susurration

Glad to have you on SR and fantastic work on the two years' sober. That is inspiring. I observe the following from your posts:

1. You're taking concrete action
2. You have the grit to get to two years of sobriety although you have hated it
3. You have insight into yourself and your emotions
4. You have retained your sense of humour.

Based on that, my humble view is that the prognosis for positive change is very good. Looking forward to hearing more from you on these boards.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What helped me enjoy my sobriety the most was gratitude. Every day finding something to be thankful for. It forced me to dwell on the positive instead of the negative. It gave me new reasons to get up and go thru each day.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I like this thread
Old 05-14-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2 years Susurration 👍 I really hope you get to go and enjoy your photography tomorrow as planned...I find wildlife and nature to be good for the soul. Wishing you well on the rest of your recovery journey x
Old 05-14-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
Hello Susurration

Glad to have you on SR and fantastic work on the two years' sober. That is inspiring. I observe the following from your posts:

1. You're taking concrete action
2. You have the grit to get to two years of sobriety although you have hated it
3. You have insight into yourself and your emotions
4. You have retained your sense of humour.

Based on that, my humble view is that the prognosis for positive change is very good. Looking forward to hearing more from you on these boards.
Great reply MissPerfumado x