Notices

day 8 Not pleasant still.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 8 Not pleasant still.

My first post here. I've been a heavy drinker the last year. Before that was usually only the weekend binge. By heavy I mean a bottle of wine a night. Sometimes more on the weekend. I had no problem functioning. Was up early, gym at 5, functional at work home for dinner and another bottle of wine.

Then I had a real bender with some college friends and definitely it got out of control. Two days later SLAM. Was like I was hit in the chest with severe anxiety/dizziness, and feelings of doom. 2 nights without sleeping at all and so anxious I wanted to die. Told everyone I had the flu.

Its now day 8, and the anxiety has resided some but is still real strong. I didn't seek help during this time and took loads of valerian root, glutamine, and benadryl. Didn't seem to help much and the anxiety was unbearable.

I sure hope this gets better soon. I have no craving to drink, and when I would abstain I never really did. I just really liked the way the wine tasted after a long day. Non desire to go back anytime soon. I;ve been reading non stop, and afraid that even if I returned to 2 years ago and just drank on the weekend I could rekindle something and be right back in withdrawels.

Feeling awful and hope I improve.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Early recovery can be a bit rough some times. But the longer you stay sober, the better you should feel. At 8 days you're thru most of the physical withdrawals. Now you just have to keep from picking up that first drink.

I was told that I must want to be sober more than I want to drink. It's kept me sober over six years now. I lean heavily on this site for support. I hope we can help you stay sober for good.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very glad to have you with us, Scott. It makes a huge difference to be able to talk things over with those who understand. You're in good company - welcome. Congrats on your Day 8 - yes, it will get better & easier.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Scott! It sounds like you're going through a pretty rough time but I agree with least that if its due to physical withdrawals you're probably getting through the worst of it. I know we're not supposed to give medical advice, but it might be worth it to get checked out by a doctor to be sure nothing else is going on? Take care!
Old 05-01-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scottH View Post

Its now day 8, and the anxiety has resided some but is still real strong. I didn't seek help during this time and took loads of valerian root, glutamine, and benadryl. Didn't seem to help much and the anxiety was unbearable.
Sounds like you are one of the fourturnate ones and hopefully are over the worse of it. Make the best of it for if alcoholic it don't get no better out there.

Mountainmanbob
Old 05-01-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Scott

Unfortunately for me the anxiety got worse and worse the more years I drank. I hope you'll consider not drinking at all as an long term option.

I hope your current anxiety will soon return to normal tho.

D
Old 05-01-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome. I hope you have some peace soon.

Bug
Old 05-01-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks everyone. Heart felt like was racing last night so much so that I could not sleep at all. Hoping tonight is better.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

if your anxiety doesn't lessen soon, it is advisable to see your physician....in the meantime, take care of yourself as if you are recovering from the flu.......lots of liquids, lots of rest. hot steamy showers. avoid caffeine. more rest. slow your pace. beg off on activities. reduce external stimuli. listen to gentle soothing music.

day 8 is great. it WILL get better. just don't drink, no matter what.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

People quit for all kinds of reasons but I can tell you the fear and doom was what did it for me. I can not go through it again. I hope you are able to get some good sleep tonight. Good job on 8 days.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scottH View Post
My first post here. I've been a heavy drinker the last year. Before that was usually only the weekend binge. By heavy I mean a bottle of wine a night. Sometimes more on the weekend. I had no problem functioning. Was up early, gym at 5, functional at work home for dinner and another bottle of wine.

Then I had a real bender with some college friends and definitely it got out of control. Two days later SLAM. Was like I was hit in the chest with severe anxiety/dizziness, and feelings of doom. 2 nights without sleeping at all and so anxious I wanted to die. Told everyone I had the flu.

I sure hope this gets better soon. I have no craving to drink, and when I would abstain I never really did. I just really liked the way the wine tasted after a long day. Non desire to go back anytime soon. I;ve been reading non stop, and afraid that even if I returned to 2 years ago and just drank on the weekend I could rekindle something and be right back in withdrawels.

Feeling awful and hope I improve.
I, too was a functional alcoholic. Vodka after work, up in time for the gym and work.

I never ever want to go back.

Keep going. You're doing great and it will get better. Be optimistic, find meetings, talk to other alcoholics. These are things that helped me and still do. Your emotions will even out. You'll feel better. Just keep going.

Danielle
Old 05-01-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

If you see a dr. And tell him about your drinking and your new anxiety he will probably give you anxiety meds. You might want or need them.

That is what i believe. When I had my personal incident and went to the dr, I told him I had a few cocktails. I didn't tell him any more. They held me for about 8 hours, did a ton of tests. I did not go into withdrawals...they let me go med free.

Anyway...

If you need a dr. See one...no medical advice here....

Otherwise...the world according to D122y....

You were in withdrawals. You binged too hard. Keep drinking and they will get worse and worse...eventually you will end up quitting or your health will fail.

The anxiety will fade. It takes time. I drank about 500ml of booze my last night drinking. I was binging hard for about 15 years...

Clean now 1 year...my anxiety was horrible for months....I suffered fiercely.

No meds. Here.

It took a good month for me to physically heal. But, I was deeply poisened from the years of boozing.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

P.s.

You are addicted to alcohol. The crave is there. It will be there for a long time. Treat yourself like an addict. Sobriety is your freedom.

Glass of wine = a relapse.

The quicker u embrace this fact the better.

Moderation is a prison.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Scott I hope these help congrats on day 8

Deep Breathing Instructions for Calming Panic

A breathing exercise that calms panic attacks.

3 Anxiety Breathing Techniques You Can Practice Anywhere - Self help for anxiety - Anxiety Slayer
Old 05-01-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Scott, I hope you feel better soon. I was sober for 6+ months before binging for a few days, and the physical and mental effect of just those few days was horrible. I'm only now coming out of it a month later, so I think youre right to be fearful of drinking again in the future. It does just get worse. As for now, I hope your anxiety calms down soon (very normal this early btw) and I'm glad you're here with us
Old 05-02-2016, 01:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Scott

I am not a doctor and this is just an a personal experience.
I have tried Valerian Root a few times to aid anxiety relaxation and most of all sleep!
And it made my anxiety much worse!
Especially the next day - are you having nightmares?
Maybe look at a herbal alternative - I'm having a blend of oat flower, lavender and limeflower tea at the moment which seems to be working a treat!
Whether it's all in my head I do not know - but it's not toxic and it seems to work for me!
You can get it in any health food shop.

I hope you feel better soon big hugs x
Old 05-21-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

around 28 days now. Still no craving to drink, but the anxiety...I think I am beating myself up and at almost a month its mostly a mental game/catch 22, but who really knows. Ive read and read which makes my anxiety worse, but I've learned how bad alcohol is for the brain and body. My god. How did I let myself do that?? I had been intending on cutting down, mostly to get back into better shape.

I think I am making my anxiety worse by beating myself up over it. Never prior to this have I ever had a panic attack/anxiety or whatever.

Saw my MD. Didn't want Benzos, so I got propranolol for any panic attacks and started on Lexapro for Anxiety....Had made me in a fog and dizzy for the last 3 days, but will give it a try. Just want to get back to feeling normal again.

Thanks for all your support.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the meds help Scott

D
Old 05-21-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Scott don't beat yourself up too bad. I was a bottle of wine a night drinker too. Are you sleeping? I was battling insomnia pretty hard at 28 days, and also craving sugar - which was funny to me, and strange, because I'd never even think about touching dessert items before

Take care of yourself and do what you need to do at this point to stay clean. Let's have a little faith in what some of these guys here on this site keep saying - "keep going! it gets better!"