Notices

HI all

Old 09-22-2004, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HI all

I am a recovering addict. Been sober for almost 8 years.
I am currently a temp. sponser for a friend who is addicted to alcohol.
She is not having much luck in finding a detox. Is there anything I can recommend to her to help her with the withdrawals? I know detox from alcohol can be deadly, so I am worried.
ANy help would be appreciated!
Old 09-22-2004, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi whitewitch and welcome!
Congrats on your sobriety! Awesome!

Try calling the Salvation Army, they have an excellent deox program and it's usually free.
Here is some info, should she go it alone. Worst part is 3-4 day's I highly suggest she see a doctor first! Keep her hydrated, and watch for the "ER warning signs", extreme nausea, extreme diziness, heart palpatations, and extreme shakes. I sure hope she'll check with a doctor, as they can prescribe a mild sedative, for 5-7 day's to help with the anxiety as well. Wish her luck for us!

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/withd.../aa000125a.htm
Old 09-22-2004, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chy
Hi whitewitch and welcome!
Congrats on your sobriety! Awesome!

Try calling the Salvation Army, they have an excellent deox program and it's usually free.
Here is some info, should she go it alone. Worst part is 3-4 day's I highly suggest she see a doctor first! Keep her hydrated, and watch for the "ER warning signs", extreme nausea, extreme diziness, heart palpatations, and extreme shakes. I sure hope she'll check with a doctor, as they can prescribe a mild sedative, for 5-7 day's to help with the anxiety as well. Wish her luck for us!

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/withd.../aa000125a.htm
Thank you sooooo much!
Old 09-22-2004, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

*raises hand* That would be me.

I will give Salvation Army a call.

I have been severly nauseated today. I can hear my own heart beating when I lay down. I am extremely shaky. I dread tonight, when the insomnia kicks in.

19 hours sober.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Hang tough Shannon! Try liquids with multi-vitamins when you get hungry, small portions at a time, the vitamins will help with fogginess, leg cramps, muscle spasms you may or may not encounter, melatonin, a natural supplement helped me with sleep. 19 hours!! woooohoooo! You be strong okay!
Old 09-24-2004, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 3....I am doing a heck of a lot better. I feel like a "human" again. It has been a long time since I felt this way. I slept good last night and am looking forward to a sober day. Thanks for the support.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you Shanon. Keep up the good work. Have you thought of getting some peerr support by joining AA. It can relly help when times get rough.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by junem
Good for you Shanon. Keep up the good work. Have you thought of getting some peerr support by joining AA. It can relly help when times get rough.
Absolutely. I am going to a meeting tomorrow with my sponsor. I know AA works. I have seen it work for many people that want to work the program. I have been to AA many times throughout my drinking days, and, apparently wasn't ready to quit. I always gravitated towards the ones on the verge of "twisting off." I believe that I am ready now. I don't think that I have many more 'drunks' left in me.

I have fallen off the horse many times, laid there, got back up, and dusted myself off. This time, I think I will tie myself to that ol' horse. LOL