Notices

Questions about withdrawal timeline

Old 04-23-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions about withdrawal timeline

I know it's different for everyone. This isn't my first rodeo. But something is happening me i can't wrap my head around. I went to the hospital Wednesday afternoon, and they sent me home thursday afternoon telling me i was out of the woods. I felt pretty good that day. Since then it's now Saturday morning, i slept most of Friday, and i feel terrible. Much worse than when i left the hospital. I imagine i must have sobered up around 6pm Wednesday making it about 50 hours since than. Have i slept too much? Or would it be better for me to get up and try to muster up some energy and break a sweat? At this point i feel so fatigued but i've slept at least 12 hours in the past 24. I can't really sleep anymore and i don't want to take any sleeping pills and sleep through my day again. Not sure if it just hasn't been long enough yet. shakes seem ok, but i'm so foggy and tired and it makes me anxious because i have things to do today at noon. Don't know whether to sleep away the next few hours or really try to wake myself up. Been drinking water and pedialite, eating trying to get some calories. Tried doing laundry. Can't seem to wake up. Any advice? Part of me thinks they should have kept me at the hospital for another day or two. I don't think i'll feel better until it's been at least 50 more hours of sobriety. Knowing myself i can't imagine ill even feel that great by Monday but my big question is sleep the weekend away or get up and move move move. i have more than enough meds to put myself out for most of tonight and monday. Thanks for listening sry about being long.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know much about the medical aspects of withdrawal, but I'm wondering if you could be dehydrated? If you've been sleeping as much as you say, you are likely not getting enough water and that can make you feel sleepy and foggy.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

From being in Detox centres it seems their rule of thumb for medicating the withdrawal (at least here) is 5 days, as far as being out of the woods, my experience is a month, by this time everything seems to be back to "normal" for the most part.

As for sleep it generally takes me two weeks and I sleep as the body needs it, the only thing to be mindful of is depression as that leads to sleep also. As always I encourage people to speak to a doc if they have a concern.

As for feeling like crap, that will come and go for a while. just the body getting back on track

Hope it's a good day for you
Andrew
Old 04-23-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am guessing that the medical folks were confining their remarks to the acute phase of withdrawal. They probably meant you were not likely to die or go into dt's.

You said this was not your first rodeo. In my experience the more times we sober up and then relapse, each cycle is worse and takes more time.

I think you may be unrealistic to think you can drop in to detox and then be "normal" two or three days later. It may take a lot longer this time.

Good luck!
Old 04-23-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Call them and ask.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Call them and ask.
Good point!!!!
Old 04-23-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would call the dr and talk to them. Dangerous withdrawal is usually 3-5 days but we are all different. The meds themselves can make you very foggy and tired. When are you supposed to taper off those?

I'm one of those people that is anxious as heck when withdrawing. Takes enough meds to kill an elephant to calm me down. I have insane manic energy for sometimes a couple of weeks. I envy people that can zonk out!
Old 04-23-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went through that - severe exhaustion for about a week. My Mom came and stayed with me to make sure I didn't drink when I first got home. She really thought I was dying. Barely getting out of bed. It subsided, of course, but did have the same experience.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I often say "listen to what your body is telling you".

I was going to say try and get some hydration and calories, but it sounds like you are doing that. Can you forgo your noon activities?
Old 04-23-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

if you are TIRED, then take a nap.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Calling and asking is a good idea. You also can try getting outside and going for a short walk. Sometimes fresh air and exercise is helpful.