Notices

I need to lose weight and hope it is easier after quitting

Old 04-16-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to lose weight and hope it is easier after quitting

I went on a diet years ago and quit drinking wine for a few months. I ran into a problem though when I got terrible gas pains from filling up on too many vegetables. I'd lost a lot of weight in a short time too which isn't good for your body. Long story short my doctor couldn't find anything seriously wrong but I was over the diet and went back to my unhealthy ways. I think I have IBS sometimes exacerbated by alcohol and anxiety. Food and liquor have been my friends for a while.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad you found SR!

Any changes to our bodies may need to be done slowly so we don't experience much change (bloating or gas, etc).

Feel good you are making healthy and positive changes to yourself!!!!!

You CAN do this!!
Old 04-16-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A lot of people lose weight after getting sober. All those empty alcohol calories are gone. I'd start a program of moderate exercise too. Like walking. Not only is it good for losing weight, it lifts your mood to be out in the sunshine and fresh air.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can do it, and it should happen. I quit and started exercising 7-8 weeks ago, I put some shorts on yesterday and they were too big. Drinking slows the metabolism. So by quitting and if you can exercise 3-5 time per week, it should start melting away.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi. I stopped drinking in January...started a 90 health challenge in February to improve my diet and start exercising again...I have lost 23 lbs...18" across my body...and I now run 3 times a week training for a 5K in May...but most importantly I am healthier and happier. As with my sobriety, this is a permanent lifestyle change. Wishing you well on the rest of your recovery journey x
Old 04-16-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am not losing weight i cant stop eating everything tastes so good. especially ice cream
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1460670121875.jpg (48.1 KB, 103 views)
Old 04-16-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi lonely, Guess what......... your not alone anymore, all you have to do is post. There is usually someone around day and night. I too drank out of lonliness and boredom, I too gained weight because of my drinking, I am determined to keep up with my sobriety and slimming down a bit with exercise. Welcome to SR. I look forward to reading your posts
Old 04-16-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I agree that exercise makes a huge difference. Even if you have to start with a 5 minute walk. A few years ago I was so out of breath on a vacation that I thought I had a serious problem and saw a cardiologist. It wasn't until later that I realized my problem was just being over weight from alcohol and out of shape. I'm sober 7 months now and started exercising with short walks. They also really help if you get cravings. I've built up my endurance a lot since then. To the point that I leave in 2 weeks to Nepal to do a 16 day trek to Mt Everest base camp.

Just get started and keep doing it a day at a time. In no time you'll start to notice a difference.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 View Post
I went on a diet years ago and quit drinking wine for a few months. I ran into a problem though when I got terrible gas pains from filling up on too many vegetables. I'd lost a lot of weight in a short time too which isn't good for your body. Long story short my doctor couldn't find anything seriously wrong but I was over the diet and went back to my unhealthy ways. I think I have IBS sometimes exacerbated by alcohol and anxiety. Food and liquor have been my friends for a while.
It works! Just stay sober

Late 2013 going into early 2014 I was pushing 270 Lbs (height of my alcohol consumption). I quit in Feb 2014.

Currently hovering around 180 Lbs for a 6'3" male, not bad at all. My knees feel a lot better in particular.

I think the reason losing weight is so seemingly easy when you quit is because we don't even realize just how much carbs, calories, sugar, etc is in that alcohol crap. It's not exactly "disclosed" unless you go online and manually run some Google searches. If I remember correctly, none of the beer bottles or hard liquor containers had any "nutrition information" on the side.

It wasn't until later when i quit that i realized just how many excess calories and carbs I was consuming every day.

NOTE: I didn't even do much exercise due to my bad knees, i started light exercise and walking only after i lost some weight (my knees started feeling better)
Old 04-16-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I lost about 15 lbs when I stopped drinking. Unfortunately, I've gained some of it back -- been hitting the sweets instead of the bottle -- but I'm slowing down on that now. Or trying to!
Old 04-17-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! I stopped drinking NYE, so sober since January 1st. I also started Weight Watchers at the same time. I have lost 24. 5 pounds. I still have 23.5 to lose (I like that half pound because it means I have lost more than I need to lose, yes it is sometimes the little things that make us happy!!!) I know that giving up wine has contributed to my weight loss, as well as my increase in exercise.

You will find lots of support on this site. You should join the April page, you will find the support of others who also quit this month. I joined the January class, and we have become a little family, completely supportive of one another.

Looking forward to reading about your journey!!

❤️ Delilah
Old 04-17-2016, 09:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I would look at it from this perspective. I need to quit drinking. I should lose weight.

Don't put the cart before the horse. There is absolutely nothing more important tHan sobriety. If you lose great. If you gain you are still miles ahead.