Notices

How do I do this?

Old 04-14-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I do this?

I have been taking dihydrocodeine for approximately 9 years now. I am prescribed 8 30mg tablets a day but I seem to take more than the stated dose, always tell myself I am not going to go over my daily allowance but I always do!! I feel so disappointed in myself but I just can't seem to help it. I took the decision on Monday that I was no longer going to take any
Tablets whatsoever but I'm struggling so much that I decided to buy over the counter co-codamol which I have taken 4 tablets over the course of 4 days. I want to be free from these awful white pills but just can't seem to see light at the end of the tunnel.

I have currently been suffering with hot and cold sweats, constant increased pain, always falling asleep whenever I sit down then being wakened from 4am every morning. The sweating seems to be worse at night time and I wake up soaked in sweat, I've also been having diahorrea and sickness which I wish would just hurry up and go away! I am determined I am going to do this I just think I need some further information regarding withdrawals and how long this will last, will it get worse? Is there anything I could be doing to ease these horrible feelings? Have I got worse things to come?

I must mention I have not told my doctor I am doing this, I just handed all of my medication into the pharmacy to make sure I didn't have any in my house so I didn't take any when the symptoms got worse, probably should add that I still had 7 weeks worth of pills left but I want to do this and I want to do this now!! I'm just starting to get scared and worried after reading various posts regarding withdrawals from these pills!! I think I just need some guidance!! So, any responses with advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you!!
Old 04-14-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

First, let your doctor know.

What you feel is called "dopesick". All of the opiates and opioids feel a little bit different when you take them, but the withdrawals pretty much all feel the same. It's going to feel pretty bad for a while, and then you're not going to feel quite right for some time, then you'll gradually feel ok.

Then you'll never have to do it again. Ever.

I can only share my experience. I found Narcotics Anonymous to be the thing that kept me clean and taught me how to handle this thing called addiction. I'd strongly suggest finding the meetings in your area and going as soon as possible. (I didn't want to go either).

If you're looking for an easy way to get off of the pills, I've got news for you. There isn't one. But it's only temporary.

Hang in there, and welcome aboard.

Don't feel like you only have to post in this forum. Newcomers to recovery is good as well. I've found that it doesn't really matter which drugs (including alcohol) we used. Addiction is addiction.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi,

Thanks very much for replying, I've been trying to do some research and find out what to expect but I suppose everyone is different and their bodies handle things in different ways.

I will definitely try to source the meetings that you have mentioned as I seem to have come across quite a few comments mentioning this. I kind of feel ashamed in admitting to my doctor that this is the situation I am in and worry that they may look at me differently or treat me differently I know they won't and I need to try and get that out of my mind. 'Dope sick' this is what the symptoms I am currently feeling is called.

Thank you again for your help.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I get the sickness and diarrhoea about 20 hours after my last pills sickness normally lasts 3 days diarrhoea maybe a day or two longer, but thats just me. Its the insomnia and psychological stuff after I have the trouble with, good luck
Old 04-14-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The doctors are not in control
of your life. Your mind, body and
soul belongs to you.

When I have to visit the doctor
for whatever reason, which is rare,
but necessary at times, I go in and
am honest with them and stand my
ground in letting them know that I
am in recovery and that if anything
is to be administered that it not be
narcotic or habit forming.

There are a lot of medicines, drugs
available for anything and everything
as the doctors are free to write a
script out freely for whatever they
want or feel you need, UNLESS

We take a stand, those of us with
addiction to drugs and alcohol and
tell them so. They, the doctors have
no clue as to our addiction unless
we tell them.

And for me, you better believe I
will tell them because im not gonna
give them the authority to give me
poison, narcotics or habit forming
meds to keep me sick in my addiction
and especially when I entered recovery
25 yrs ago.

Doctors are available to help us
in sickness but it is my responsibility
in recovery and life to be honest with
them. AND.....

I don't care what they think of me
because all im there is for his professional
help to remain healthy.

A program of recovery to teach
us about our addiction and give
us a treatable program to incorporate
in all our affairs will help us achieve
a healthier, happier and honest way
of life for many one days at a time
ahead of us.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Wilky125 I am on Day 13 free from codeine. For me days 3 - 5 were the worst physically with similar symptoms to you and then the fatigue started. This is my timeline and we are all different but I hope it helps. There is freedom from these pills and it is beautiful. Stat strong time will pass.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. You came to a good place!! Lots of support here. I also do NA meetings, they are a life saver and free!! I am also an opiate addict, have detoxed from pain meds more times then I can count. And guess what! it never gets any easier. You don't have to ever feel this way AGAIN if you want to work a program of recovery. The disease is much bigger than just quitting the meds, but for now first things first. Get clean off them. Being dope sick doesn't last forever. I am someone that has to go cold turkey, I know what to expect and just expect to be sick for a bit. Baths, funny movies, masterbation, bananas, stay close to the bathroom. Reach out. I called someone from an NA hotline. It was amazing. They then called me everyday a few times a day. To sit on the phone with a total stranger was unreal, I would cry and explain my fears, they listened. Then once I could get up and around they met me for my first meeting. I was never alone. They understand what its like to be an addict and need help.

Hang in there. Keep posting. Anyone that is here understands. Proud of you guys!
Old 04-15-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have discovered that many Drs these days seem to have better awareness regarding addiction issues... I think it's their job to warn pts of meds that could be addictive.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am sorry I don't have any experience with that drug but I just wanted to say good luck to you.