Notices

Losing it all

Old 04-14-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Losing it all

I'm so close to losing everything, marriage, job, kids, house. I've wrecked my car a couple times, still trying to hide that, not going to work, different excuses every day. I don't know how to get out of this hole I've dug.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there
I know exactly how you're feeling....been there too many times. Really the only way to get out is to quit. I know, not so easy but the concept is pretty simple.
I have found the best way out is to seek help and support from your dr, ER or medical detox facility.
You can do this! Take back your life.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

It took time to dig that hole, it'll take time to get out. You can get out of it though, one day at a time.
It starts with making the decision that you want to be sober more than you want to drink.

The Drunk Who Fell in a Hole

A drunk fell in a hole and couldn't get out. A businessman went by. The drunk called out for help. The businessman threw him some money and told him get yourself a ladder. But the drunk could not find a ladder in this hole he was in.

A doctor walked by. The drunk said, "Help, I can't get out." The doctor gave him drugs and said, "Take this, it will relieve the pain." The drunk said thanks, but when the pills ran out, he was still in the hole.

A renowned psychiatrist rode by and heard the drunks cries for help. He stopped and said, "How did you get there? Were you born there? Were you put there by your parents? Tell me about yourself, it will alleviate your sense of loneliness." So the drunk talked with him for an hour, then the psychiatrist had to leave, but he said he'd be back next week. The drunk thanked him, but he was still in his hole.

A priest came by and the drunk called for help. The priest gave him a Bible and said I'll say a prayer for you. He got down on his knees and prayed for the drunk, then left. The drunk was very grateful, he read the Bible, but he was still stuck in that hole.

A recovering alcoholic happened to be passing by. The drunk cried out, "Hey, help me, I'm stuck in this hole." Right away, the recovering alcoholic jumped in the hole with him. The drunk said, "What are you doing? Now we're both stuck here." But the recovering alcoholic said, "It's okay, I've been here before, I know how to get out."
Old 04-14-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You get out of the hole by putting down the bottle. It's a simple, albeit not "easy" solution.

Extraordinary/dire circumstances require extraordinary measures to fix. A couple of suggestions.

1. Be honest. As much as you think you are hiding your drinking, people know - I can guarantee you that. Stop lying to them, and more importantly to yourself and accept that you have a problem.

2. Seek help - See your doctor, go to an AA meeting, call an Alcohol/Drug counselor, etc.

3. Do whatever it takes to quit and stay quit. That will involve you doing a lot of things you most likely do not WANT to do or feel comfortable doing.

Do remember though that you have a choice - and you can turn this around. Are you ready and willing to do so?
Old 04-14-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Screwedup and Scott said most of what I was going to.

Stop digging. Stop running. It only gets worse when you do that.

I get why you keep getting loaded, because like all addicts I was willing to take a moment of relief in exchange for a lifetime of misery. That got me in quite a hole. If you don't stop eventually it gets you dead, and you don't get out of that hole. I just found out a friend from recovery just died from using yesterday. That makes two in the last week.

You're not going to erase the consequences by magic, nor can you snap your fingers and have everything go back to "normal".

Get help wherever you can. AA, treatment, whatever. In NA we don't care what your drug of choice was so you can go there too.

Be prepared for an emotional roller coaster and for this to take time. Latch on to the guys that were in the same hole you were in and who have found a way out. - Worked for me.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

Get out of the hole with a plan, whatever recovery method suits you. Reach out like you're doing here. Build a support team to help you. Most of all, have some hope....you can do this.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Remember that it won't be easy, anyone that says it's easy is lying but it is definitely worth it.
The hole is a great example, it's easy to fall into a hole but hard to climb out.
Don't give up.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt like that when I stopped drinking too.

Have faith that you can do this and you can get your life together.

What worked for me was to make a list, fairly detailed, of everything I wanted to do. Each day, I would cross off 2 or 3 items. It gave me confidence and motivation to keep moving forward.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

1.Don't drink today
2.Make a doctors appt. right away and be honest
3.Tell your family what's going on and ask for their support
4.Eat good food, hydrate, go to bed early and take care of your body.
5. Go to a recovery meeting, make a therapy appointment, or whatever you need
to get some psychological support.
6. Do not compromise with your addicted self and drink again.
7. Realize you can control picking up that first drink, even if you can't after that.
8. Post here on SR whenever you feel cravings and join the monthly class.
9. We understand it is hard, but really accept it is do-able and you can stop the madness.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Lot of good advice here already. You're in my thoughts and prayers. There is a better way of life waiting for you in recovery. One day at a time, it'll get better with a little work and patience on our parts.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You say that you are CLOSE to losing it all. That tells me that you haven't yet lost it all.

So, you can keep doing what you are doing and wait until you DO lose it all, or you can start, today, to climb out of the hole.

It can be done. And you can do it.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

lots of good advice already but I truly believe reaching out & having a plan are essential to sobriety
Old 04-14-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Originally Posted by ScrewdUpInDe View Post

The Drunk Who Fell in a Hole

A drunk fell in a hole and couldn't get out. A businessman went by. The drunk called out for help. The businessman threw him some money and told him get yourself a ladder. But the drunk could not find a ladder in this hole he was in.

A doctor walked by. The drunk said, "Help, I can't get out." The doctor gave him drugs and said, "Take this, it will relieve the pain." The drunk said thanks, but when the pills ran out, he was still in the hole.

A renowned psychiatrist rode by and heard the drunks cries for help. He stopped and said, "How did you get there? Were you born there? Were you put there by your parents? Tell me about yourself, it will alleviate your sense of loneliness." So the drunk talked with him for an hour, then the psychiatrist had to leave, but he said he'd be back next week. The drunk thanked him, but he was still in his hole.

A priest came by and the drunk called for help. The priest gave him a Bible and said I'll say a prayer for you. He got down on his knees and prayed for the drunk, then left. The drunk was very grateful, he read the Bible, but he was still stuck in that hole.

A recovering alcoholic happened to be passing by. The drunk cried out, "Hey, help me, I'm stuck in this hole." Right away, the recovering alcoholic jumped in the hole with him. The drunk said, "What are you doing? Now we're both stuck here." But the recovering alcoholic said, "It's okay, I've been here before, I know how to get out."
This actually made me cry today...Amazing!
Old 04-14-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

you can pay the very high price of saying goodbye to everything you love and hold dear JUST so you can have another drink....

OR

you put down the booze, for good, and have the chance to build a wonderful life.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

To get and stay sober you must want to be sober more than you want to drink. How badly do you want to be sober? You've got to put the bottle down. Nothing good will come from drinking.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Goingnowhere, there is a common theme here. You've got the power to break this cycle, but you've got to want it and make it happen. You've got to dig deep and help yourself, no one can do it for you.

Your tomorrow hasn't been shaped yet, give yourself the best chance at getting out of your hole by not drinking today.

I promise, you won't regret this decision.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lots of great advice above! I just wanted to send some hugs and support your way.:-)
Old 04-14-2016, 09:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just dropping by from the Feb class to say hi.