Notices

I visited an old drinking buddy

Old 04-09-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I visited an old drinking buddy

As the title indicates, I visited a friend of mine who I used to drink with. I was in no danger. I'd go see him every Saturday when I had my business. He was starting his own business about the same time I sold mine. He is a metal fabricator and converted his garage into a shop. Talented guy. Anyway, I went and saw him because drinking aside, he really helped me out a lot, with a lot of different things. He's a genuine friend. Since I sold my business I haven't been stopping in...ever.

That being said, we used to drink the same booze, and he said he quit drinking it. Naturally I asked why and he said "I was drinking too much of it". So he has switched to a different liquor, but is still drinking. I pass no judgement on the man, but I felt kind of bad for him because he still stuck in the same pattern. Drink every night, and crank it up a little on the weekends. I guess he can handle it or is mentally ok with his consumption. He was actually not surprised that I quit drinking, but was glad I did. That's very telling.

I have another issue that is weighing very heavily on me right now, I may share in another post. Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Hi Jeff. It must be a slow day on SR as I've been tied up most of the day and I'm the first one to respond to your post. I hope your buddy sees the light eventually. Even if he's mentally ok with drinking it does catch up with you health wise and impacts others.

I also hope what ever else is troubling you you can find a solution to.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

just be careful you don't come away from these "tests" with a sense of wearing a teflon cape. what i DO hope is that perhaps meeting with your friend, and letting him know that YOU quit drinking might just plant a small seed for him.........ya never know. maybe you carried the message!!! i'd like to think that, Jeff!
Old 04-09-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hope all is well Jeff, we're here anytime you need to talk!!
Old 04-09-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I tried that as well, The problem was the alcohol...switched from red to white, when that didn't work, I switched to scotch, no, still didn't work, I know "I will go back to the reds, just higher shelf reds."....around and around I would go.
I always knew but denial is powerful. I hope your friend will ok.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with AnvilHead - maybe you gave him something to think about.
It is interesting that he understood your need to quit but doesn't think he does himself (and, in fairness, maybe he does not).
Old 04-09-2016, 09:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

He's your friend, stop by and say hello and spend some time with him. If it gets ugly leave..

My friends and family know I don't drink anymore and I go to all the gatherings and parties but when they get goofy I take off! I go home and get a good night rest and feel great in the morning!

Get that other issue off your chest, call friend or reach out to your buds here!! Keep up the good work! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I switched from 5% beer to 4% ,, then just drink more.