Notices

Bad day triggered a failure

Old 04-07-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad day triggered a failure

I've done so good this week. I made it almost 5 days without a drink. I didn't even crave one today...and then.

My dog, my only friend of 11 years, today had a terrible stroke. He stopped breathing and then finally started again after about 30 seconds or so. I had lost my best friend...I was sitting in the front yard as he lay there unable to move. A few neighbors did ask me what they could do to help; but, there was nothing.

He didn't die and is doing okay now, but it's getting time to put him down. Alas, I lost all my power of sobriety. I now, clearly realize I run to the bottle during any problem. I only had 2 drinks, but it might as well of been 12. I don't really know what I believe anymore as far as a higher power or afterlife - but if one believes in evil, it sure seems to be out to get me right now.

I know I can start over again tomorrow, but there's a dark cloud right now
Old 04-07-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand. The deaths of my pets has caused me to relapse more than any other cause. Try your best to stay sober now for him...you want to be fully present in the time he has left so you can make his last days happy and make that final decision with a sound mind.

I will tell you from sad experience...all drinking your way through a loss does is freeze you in that pain, not help you get through it.

You have my utmost sympathy.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Start over. I've lost 2 dogs and my daughter all sober and if there is one thing I have learned it is sober grief is so much healthier than the gray nothingness of alcohol
Old 04-07-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by WalkingOnAir View Post
... but if one believes in evil, it sure seems to be out to get me right now.
The only evil out to get you is your addiction to alcohol.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

Don't spend the last precious days or hours with him drunk. He has given you eleven good years of his life, give him some good last memories in return...I'm sure he's been your only friend on your worst days, that's how our dogs are.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh some great advice here...you will feel so much better going through this sober...you can be fully there with your dog and maybe you'll have more great days ahead together than you know?! I agree that going through the pain and trying to dull it will just leave you stuck in it...but worse.

Great job reaching out...lots of pet lovers here who understand what you are facing!
Old 04-07-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry about your dog being sick and that he may not live too much longer. It's terribly hard when we lose our beloved pets.

Why not try to come up with a solid plan for when something like that comes along? Life is full of ups and downs and if you're prepared you will be able to deal with them.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One of the best things I ever did was adopt my dog from the local humane society. That was 12 years ago and she has enriched our lives in many ways. Plus, she's very smart! And fun! And protective. And loyal. But she's gettin' up there, has cataracts and stuff. I can't believe she's this old, but, she is and there will come a day. You have my empathy. May tomorrow be less dark and cloudy.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry walkingonair.

One of the worst regrets I have tho is not being sober for my pets when they needed me the most.

It's about your dog right now, man. Be a good owner

D
Old 04-07-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So sorry for what happened to your little mate 🙁

The guys and girls here are so right, spend his remaining time sober so you can really appreciate it.

Sending prayers
Old 04-07-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

My father was the pilot in a plane crash 3 months after my last drink. He died 2 weeks later.
You can't control the tragedies in your life. You can only control your response to them. The only thing drinking would have done during my family tragedy was make me emotionally unavailable to help anyone else through their pain.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Share your dog's last days sober. Make them his best days. You can't do him any good if you're drinking. Losing a beloved pet is awful, but alcohol won't make it any less so.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Being there & sober for your dog is the way to go you don't want to look back & say you were drunk when that was happening ? you want to be able to say we spent what precious little time we had left together doing the best a dad could do for his pooch

I'm sorry this is happening