Notices

Two Years!

Old 04-05-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two Years!

I've made it through two years weed free! The best news is that I don't even miss it. Well actually I don't miss it most of the time. I don't "white knuckle it" anymore, even though I'm surrounded by weed smokers and it's legal to recreationally smoke it here in the Seattle area. I smell it everywhere all the time except in my house.

I'm not going to lie, I leaned on my weed habit when I quit drinking over four years ago. It wasn't actually that helpful, nothing was helpful except time but it gave me "something to do with my hands" I guess. When I had enough sobriety under my belt, quitting the weed seemed like a natural thing to do.

Unlike alcohol, I never thought I had a problem with weed, except that it was too expensive and hard to get enough of at various times in my life. At the end of my smoking career I could afford as much as I wanted whenever I wanted it. One of my friends said "Why quit weed? It seemed to be working for you."

Much to my surprise, smoking weed basically everyday for thirty years made me a modified human--a stoner. Quitting was a heavy deal, much heavier than I anticipated. The most noticeable things in the beginning were I had really lucid dreams and smelly night sweats. The dreams have stayed and the sweats went away after a couple of weeks.

When I quit drinking, I started to notice myself growing, my arrested development was un arrested. Quitting the weed made that trend even more pronounced. Now, at fifty years of age, I'm starting to feel like a grown up. Well, I still play with toys but I don't mind being a good parent and the bills are paid on time more often.

I was visiting an old friend a couple of weeks ago and he told me that I was just as much fun to play with as ever, that I was still the same old Gaffo even without drinking and smoking. He said that it gave him hope that one day he might quit getting drunk/high. I took that as a really nice complement.

Bottom line is I like being 100% straight these days. It saves me lots of money to spend on better things and I have nothing to hide from my kids. I joke around that I'm "planning my relapse" but I don't have any regrets about quitting the weed and I have no intentions to start again. If it weren't for quitting cigs and drinking, it would be my proudest achievement that I was able to leave the weed behind.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your weed free time Gaffo

I didn't realise how much weed changed me until I could look back from a distance.

I think it was even more insidious than alcohol in that respect.

I'm glad you're free

D
Old 04-05-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Congratulations gaffo!!
Xo
Old 04-05-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats, Gaffo!
Old 04-05-2016, 09:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Congrats!

It took me a while to realize that the word sober meant "not intoxicated"
Old 04-06-2016, 01:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations
Old 04-11-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's great to read. Like you I substituted alcohol when I gave it up, for hash. I think it did 'fill the void' for a while, but then I began to realize that I was thinking about hash in the same was as I had thought about alcohol. Running around trying to get some, smoking it behind my partners back, even picking up dog ends off the pavement that looked like the ends of Joints when I couldn't afford to buy. It all became rather seedy and dirty. Thank God that's in the past!
Old 04-19-2016, 10:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That is awesome congrats on two years!
Old 04-19-2016, 11:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats!!!
Old 04-22-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for taking the time to share this. Meant a lot to read this. Way to go man!!!!!!! You sound great!!!!
Old 04-22-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 2 years clean and sober.

A nice chunk of time sober.

Bob up top the mountain
Old 04-22-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you are clean, sober, and HAPPY!
Old 04-29-2016, 12:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 04-29-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's awesome gaffo, what an achievement