Notices

Eastenders slightly off topic...

Old 04-01-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eastenders slightly off topic...

It annoyed me this evening, (if your outside the UK and watch the programme this post contains spoilers!)

Phil Mitchell struggling with chronic alcoholism, liver is in a very bad shape, he decides to finally get sober (great) stops drinking and is seen walking around, normally! I was in bed for a week when I first got sober!!! Don't get me wrong Steve Mcfadden has played his part well, but I really think the script writers could of shown true reality of withdrawal and detox of a newly sober person. Just cant help but feel they haven't portrayed the true reality of the illness. They also haven't bothered to include any helplines for his story, which has annoyed me too.

Personally I feel the issue hasn't been portrayed in its reality, people need to see the hard hard truth and facts of alcoholism, what to expect, how to help a newly sober person etc.

Anyone see the episode? Just wondered your thoughts.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ive just wrote about this on my thread as well! He didn't even have a hangover after portraying him as drinking about 10 bottles of whisky a day for months. Also he had one bad bout of bleeding esophageal varices, continues drinking. Then weeks later coughs up a little blood in the sink! I know its not real, but don't make it a total fairytale!
Old 04-01-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

he had the shakes on a camp bed for about half an hour. it took me four days to stop shaking when i got sober!
Old 04-01-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, but he wasn't shaking so much he couldn't get the tops off the whisky to pour them out haha. You must be a wimp, cos like you said, after half an hour, he was up running about, good as new (ish) haha
PLUS why wasn't he arrested for taking over that digger thing and destroying his cabin office? Surely you can't just jump in a digger thing drunk and destroy things? haha
Old 04-01-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Im glad im not the only one that thinks the same! In reality I reckon he'd be dead by now, tbh! Just wish they showed it in its reality, it could be invaluable to others trying to understand alcoholism.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lein View Post
Yes, but he wasn't shaking so much he couldn't get the tops off the whisky to pour them out haha. You must be a wimp, cos like you said, after half an hour, he was up running about, good as new (ish)
That made me laugh! Ha ha!!!
Old 04-01-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I don't watch it only when Mrs sw watches it but I've seen him steadily progress in his alcoholism vomiting blood Dr's telling him drinking will kill him if he lets it & in some episodes he's visibly yellow from alcoholism & unkempt

With all that being said I havnt seen it in the last week or two so forgive me not responding to the episode referenced tonight

I don't think soaps tackle addiction very well in the uk at all the character Lauren Branning is alcoholic but you never hear anything about that

Looking for a portrayal of alcoholism especially in soaps is a bad idea as like you guys just said it isn't done very well

This is why I prefer things like rain in my heart or the most recent programme on uk tv which was channel 5's hello my name is.... I'm an alcoholic

Have you guys seen either of those ?

Old 04-01-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes but they never show the real effects of drinking in the soaps. In Corrie the factory lot drink on a dinnertime then go back to their machines. People are upset, drink half a bottle of vodka in an hour and still talk, think and walk like it's nothing. And you can drink the pub dry, be drunk as a lord, and then theres a crisis, and boom! sober again!
Old 04-01-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
I don't watch it only when Mrs sw watches it but I've seen him steadily progress in his alcoholism vomiting blood Dr's telling him drinking will kill him if he lets it & in some episodes he's visibly yellow from alcoholism & unkempt

With all that being said I havnt seen it in the last week or two so forgive me not responding to the episode referenced tonight

I don't think soaps tackle addiction very well in the uk at all the character Lauren Branning is alcoholic but you never hear anything about that

Looking for a portrayal of alcoholism especially in soaps is a bad idea as like you guys just said it isn't done very well

This is why I prefer things like rain in my heart or the most recent programme on uk tv which was channel 5's hello my name is.... I'm an alcoholic

Have you guys seen either of those ?

Ive seen Rain in my Heart a lot of times. They are all dead now apart from Mark (I think) couldn't find anything about his progress since then on the internet. But Nigals daughter posted on facebook Vanda had died in 2010 I think. I haven't seen the other programme, Ill have a look on demand 5 for that.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep - the "normalisation of alcohol" !! No wonder there are so many of us alchies out there fgs!!
Old 04-01-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I saw "hello my name is" and said to my husband this is just like an AA meeting.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"Saving Ed Mitchell" about that telly newscaster who ended up living rough on Brighton seafront. Thats on you tube..thats a good watch
Old 04-01-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was following a good blog too that a London woman was writing about living with her husband who was in end stage alcoholism "Alcoholic Daze"

And another blog an American woman had about hers "The immortal Alcoholic"
Old 04-01-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Theres another two on you tube "My name is Brian" I think its called, about a bloke with alcoholism and schizophrenia and strugging on the streets.
And for a truely scary watch "Wet House"..thats in 4 parts..both these programmes are filmed in England