Notices

Trail of wreckage to clean up still...

Old 03-16-2016, 10:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm about to hit 30 days sober and life has been really good since I decided to give in and do AA whole hardheartedly. I physically and mentally feel better. I was able to land a 2nd job and already being promoted in the first 3 weeks of me being there! I'm just all around more responsible and trying to be a better dad and better husband. On the other hand my last bender got me into a lot of trouble of course. After being almost 4 months sober I thought to myself ok I have this figured out I can drink again in moderation though. Nope I was wrong!

So at the beginning of this year we went to a New Years Eve event. I talked my wife into me drinking and how I can now handle it. Hmm, the next morning I wake up in the hospital with no idea how I got there. Talk about scary! So I get discharged. So the bender begins. The very same day I'm sneaking beers into the house or drinking them in random places throughout my house including the side where we keep our trash cans. So a few days go by. I'm home calling in sick from the new contract job I started. Wife is pissed off at me of course, but I didnt care I just kept on cracking those beers open. Then it went to vodka. So I'm chugging a pint like water within 10 minutes and of course it hits you hard when drinking that fast. What do I do next? Well my wife and I get into it. I black out and not really sure but I remember bits and pieces. Cops are at my house saying my mom was worried about me and they showed up to do a welfare check. Meanwhile my wife and kids are gone and I have no idea where they are at. I finally get in contact with my wife and she tells me she took the kids to a hotel. This after she went to the hospital. She filled me in that we started pushing each other and I of course pushed her harder and she hit the counter. She was worried about her ribs. This is the first time this has ever happened in our 10 year relationship. She tells me that the hospital is suspicious about her injuries and now they are taking pictures of her and how they suspect me of DV. Long story short in the state of NV the DA can pursue charges against a domestic violence crime even if the other person doesn't want to press charges. So I talk to my lawyer about it who just recently got done handling all 3 of my DUI cases. Got wreckless driving on 2 out of the 3. Lucky in all aspects! He said hey just so you know I checked and there is a warrant out for your arrest. I said you gotta be kidding me!!!!!! Felony this time. So now I have to hire him AGAIN to deal with this case. You know all this started over a stupid argument that was basically a misunderstanding. So now I have to pay my lawyer 3,000.00 and my time is wasted along with my money. So no side of my story no anything. Just hey we're going to arrest you.

I'm working the steps and I regret that night along with those couple weeks so much. Why? It could've been avoidable...all of it. Just so ridiculous what drinking does to you. Now I have this hanging over my head and no idea what to expect.

I'm still keeping my head up and my wife is happy I'm sober and working the steps with both of my sponsors. I'm so bad I have to have 2 ha.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Why two sponsors? Too easy to leave stuff out this way....

Keep working on things, they will get better and so will you!!
Old 03-16-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well the person I asked to sponsor me was in my IOP with me. We go to AA together and meet about 2 times a week. The other person is was his sponsor. He is almost 20 years sober. When I do meet with him it's all 3 of us together. He is kinda like the dad of our group. I'm going through the steps with the person I asked, but we all hang out together after meetings.

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Why two sponsors? Too easy to leave stuff out this way....

Keep working on things, they will get better and so will you!!
Old 03-16-2016, 11:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober month! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep at it! You'll get dug out of the hole if you just keep working.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You remind me of me.

Things will get much better and you will add very little more wreckage to your past when-

You keep the plug in the jug.

Sounds like it's that time for you?

MB
Old 03-17-2016, 01:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Getitright

yeah it took me most of the first year to sort out the mess my drinking had left me with - sounds like hopefully it won't be that long for you, but even at a year of sorting myself out after 20 years of insane drinking and drugging, I thought that was a pretty good deal

You're on the right road - congrats on 30 days
don't lose heart

D
Old 03-17-2016, 03:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats GetRight
Old 03-17-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

30 days clean is physically free.

I don't think your brain has been damaged enough yet to cause the paranoia I get daily. You probably started drinking later in life. This is a huge reminder to me why I can't drink.

But, now it is a mental battle w out any physical reminders.

Respect that alcohol is mentally addicting.

Remember what you have done to yourself when drunk.

Maybe treat yourself like you have been given this last chance to stay out of jail and lose everything, including your freedom. You won't be drinking in jail...I think...I guess they might have jail house booze...

Anyway, try to consider yourself on parole. One more DV bust and I don't think Jonny Cochran could save you from doing time.

Trying to help.

Thanks for the post.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 30 is fantastic Getright!!
Old 03-17-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Keep at it.

There's a reason step 9 is step 9 and not step 1. - You'll get there. Besides, step 9 is a lifelong process. Staying clean and changing your behavior are life long amends.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

We all have wreckage here from our past drinking. Now we take it one day at a time to stay sober and make things right.

Keep at it - you can do this.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you make the decision to not be violent with your wife in the future.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow your story sounds terrible. It reminds me what my life could turn into if I don't continue on the right track. Congrats on 30 days though. Glad your here to share that story.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good job on 30 days!!
Old 03-18-2016, 03:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Of course! She knows thats not me or who I represent. I regret that night especially along with many other nights I couldn't remember. I try not to dwell to much on everything that has taken place due to drinking, and use my energy to keep getting better and changing my life.

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I hope you make the decision to not be violent with your wife in the future.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have seen a ton of alcoholics whose lives were in shambles. They stayed sober and slowly but surely they started enjoying a life better than anything they had known.

It won't happen overnight but it will happen as long as we stay sober