Notices

Tired of Booze Jokes

Old 03-09-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired of Booze Jokes

It's not just Facebook that is bombarded with jokes about drinking. Jokes about how it's okay to be an alcoholic. Maybe I'm just being sensitive at just 4 months dry, but they bother me. I don't find them funny.
Here's what I mean. (If it works with the attachment...I'm new at this)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wine.jpg (40.7 KB, 186 views)
Old 03-09-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Obviously I don't know what I'm doing cuz that's REALLY big! lol
Old 03-09-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

You have to remember that most people have no problem with alcohol. If they drink, it's one or two and done. They don't even understand the mindset of the problem. Their curiosity is, "Why would anyone drink like that?"
Old 03-09-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel like that too sometimes. Alcholism isnt a laughing matter, alas people do not fully understand the nature of the illness unless they have experienced it first hand. Im learning to turn a blind eye to it now, preferring to put my energies into my recovery and helping others x x x
Old 03-09-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Btw I too am almost 4 months in x
Old 03-09-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't do facebook so don't notice such things. Nor do I notice alcohol in stores or restaurants. I have no interest in it anymore. The longer I was sober, the less interest I had in drinking. It's just a non issue now.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've found in more sensitive to that stuff in my newsfeed. I've taken to hiding all of the posts in hopes that the smart engine will pick up the pattern doubtful but at least then I don't see them.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I doubt those jokes are going to go away anytime soon Lynnmarie - but I'm sorry they upset you.

I've learned to tune them out. I'm not the target audience

D
Old 03-09-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, lynnmarie. Anorexia and mental illness jokes are disappearing as people realize that these are not laughing matters, but there's still a huge amount of alcoholism jokes out there. I just shake my head and move on...

Dlfin
Old 03-09-2016, 10:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Lynnmarie, I noticed the jokes about booze when I first stopped drinking but it does become less 'in your face' as you gain more time sober.

A day doesn't go by without someone at work talking about booze but like trachemys says most don't have a problem with booze, so would not even understand our problem.

Stick with it, it gets easier and instead of going home from work and getting wasted, I don't even think about drinking. I have a life where I am conscious and aware, unless I'm asleep!
Old 03-10-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I slightly disagree. Most of the people I know who joke and talk about booze are heavy drinkers or drinking unhealthy amounts. Not to get into label semantics, but whether they are 'problem drinkers' vs 'alcoholics' is open for debate. All I know is I've watched most of these people down more than a healthy amount of alcohol using AMA/cdc/other agency guidelines.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

These things will happen. Some people make jokes. Some people are not too smart when it comes to alcohol. There are many people. And alcohol is a big part of society.

It reminds me of when I was standing in an elevator one morning and two guys knew each other. One was looking rather pale. The other guy said: "Went on a bender last night." The pale guy affirmed it.

What is troubling is that the mood was both accepting ("Oh yeah, situations like this.") and amusing ("Haha, well, that's how it goes.")

It's everywhere. I suppose the best thing to do is realize that you know better and not let it get to you. You will come across things like that and that's reality. Stand above it and let it not bother you.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

What D said
Old 03-10-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I have to adapt to the world and not vice versa. Proactively I can choose to get off Facebook, DVR programs and skip commercials and turn the radio station.
Ultimately, I grew to simply not be bothered by these things however.

Glad you're here with us
Old 03-10-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i didnt have a computer when i got sober(nope, im not ancient in years. just slow at technology) but it sure seemed like everywhere i looked and everything i read had something to do with alcohol. it was rather frustrating.
it took T.I.M.E. for me to notice its not EVERYWHERE like i perceived. it was just that i still had the mental obsession.
and then i got me a computer and FB account. i have friends all over the country and thats how we stay in touch.
however, there have been "friends" on there ive blocked their comments as they have a lot of alcohol and drug comments.

sometimes when i get all jacked up lookin at something or thinkin about something, tbe best thing for me to do is admit it aint helpin me, let it go, and direct my attention to something more useful.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ICanDoBetter View Post
I've found in more sensitive to that stuff in my newsfeed. I've taken to hiding all of the posts in hopes that the smart engine will pick up the pattern doubtful but at least then I don't see them.
I have done the same thing, I hide the posts regarding alcohol. I still have friends who will tag me in pictures of quotes line this, and I hide those as well. I also have unfollowed certain people/groups I had previously followed.

Unfortunately, they are all over, and I know I was guilty of posting things like this in the past as well.

Today is 70 days for me, and posts/quoted like this are t bothering me nearly as much, I still hide them though!!

Happy Thursday!!
Old 03-10-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It has always been that way. If you're old enough, remember Otiz on the Andy Griffin show. Perhaps WC Fields? Drunks are tragic, comical and everything in between. Funny no one makes fun of other addicts. How amusing to see the anorexic starve themselves to death or the heroin addict. With the exception of WC Fields I have never found drunks amusing. Then again I find America's Funniest repugnant. What's funny about people falling or getting hit in the ...

Sorry, a bit of a rant.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

Alcohol is a big part of society, I got used to watch it everywhere in movies and TV, what upsets me is seeing people heavily intoxicated, be it from alcohol or drugs, it kinda triggers me.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

"I slightly disagree. Most of the people I know who joke and talk about booze are heavy drinkers or drinking unhealthy amounts. Not to get into label semantics, but whether they are 'problem drinkers' vs 'alcoholics' is open for debate. All I know is I've watched most of these people down more than a healthy amount of alcohol using AMA/cdc/other agency guidelines. "

Tang - I agree with you. I think a lot of people who make jokes about it do indeed have a problem with alcohol or are on their way. Joking makes it okay. Laughing about alcoholism (or borderline alcoholism) with your friends makes it acceptable. It's not the joke that bothers me, it's the acceptance.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for your input everyone!
I'm only 4 months in so it's good to hear I will thicken my skin and not let such things bother me. I've never been sober this long so this is all new territory for me. It's going to be an interesting year of firsts!