Notices

New and nervous

Old 03-05-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and nervous

OK so I been sent to a recovery centre this week and had my assessment and first welcome meeting.. I don't want to complete give up but just learn to control it so I have a choice .. Im getting help for alcohol tho do drugs social at weekends but not informed them as its the drink I struggle with.. Looking to meet new friends in similar situation that don't know me xx
Old 03-05-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Nervouswino16!

Nice to meet you.

Personally, I couldn't moderate. The harder I tried, the worse my drinking became.

I gave up drinking all together, that was my choice, my gift to myself.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Have you had enough?

IME, if you're planning to "moderate", and/or planning to hold on to using certain drugs, you're planning to continue in the same self destructive pattern that got you where you are now. - Don't delude yourself that you can get used to where you are, it gets a lot worse.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi! Welcome!
There's a lot of info here about addiction and you'll meet a lot of people in a similar situation,that have a lot of great advice .
Xo
I've made a lot of wonderful friends here and I hope you do too xx
Old 03-05-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Welcome to SR. Read about a bit, you'll find a lot from people who have been in the same position as you. Learning to moderate once you've "forgotten" how to drink like a normal person is all but impossible.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Nervouswino!!
Old 03-06-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nervouswino,

Great job on getting into recovery now take full advantage of the opportunity and maximize the benefits of the time you're investing in yourself, tell them about the drug use so they can help you with the bigger picture.

What do you have to lose?

Social drug use, recreational drug use... call it what you like but it's still drug miss use on a potential path to abuse.

Moderation or controlled drinking, statistically not very likely for an addict.

It has been said when the addict controls their drinking they don't enjoy it and when they enjoy their drinking they can't control it.

Controlled drinking by one medical definition is something like no more than 2 drinks in a night, or 15 in week with two nights without drinking, or no more than 5 at a single event more than twice a month.

Again GREAT job getting into treatment, now do your part to take full advantage of the gift.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I tried so many times to drink "normally" but always failed. It was easier for me to just not drink at all.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad you found us!

Don't you think if you could moderate, you would be able to do it without anyone's help?

I found drugs led me back to drink and drink led me back to drugs. I had to give it all up. When you want to be totally honest with yourself, you will know deep inside you that you and alcohol or drugs don't work. Plus, recovery centers work best when we are completely sober.

It's your choice! Stick around, lots of good support and information on this site!!

Love and Hugs to you,
~SB
Old 03-06-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, glad you are here!! I never had an issue with drugs, but have learned the hard way that moderating with alcohol doesn't work, at least it never did for me.

Since you are in a program, it seems like the perfect opportunity to be truthful about your addiction , and have them help.

❤️ Delilah
Old 03-06-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's some great advice here, nervouswino - welcome

I think if you're going into something half heartedly - not wanting to stop drinking completely, still doing drugs recreationally - the odds are nothings going to change in the long run.

Haven't you ever thought of not having to drink or drug at all?

D
Old 03-06-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Moderation has not been going very well for me. Like mav said. We just drink differently.