Notices

Rock bottom

Old 03-02-2016, 02:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rock bottom

Well today is my first day of recovery. And I think I'm only sober cause all the beer is gone..I feel ashamed and broke. Every last penny has been spent and don't even know if I still have my job.smh and all I want is another drink. What's wrong with me?
Old 03-02-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello Benito! Welcome to SR!!

I think it's great you are reaching out for help Have you had a chance to visit our Newcomers to Recovery section? Lots of great people who know exactly what you are going through.

Newcomers to Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Welcome again!
Old 03-02-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Benito - welcome

I did move your thread to Newcomers forum - you'll find more response here from other people struggling with their drinking

There's nothing wrong with you that's not wrong with the rest of us - there is hope tho

Once I couldn't go 3 days without a drink - now I'm several years into a lasting sobreity. SR really helped me with that - it's a great place for support and ideas. I know we can help you too

D

PS off topic: but it's really good to see you back on SR Seren!
Old 03-02-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey - Benito - don't pick up that first drink. If you can, please go to a emergency room. You are safe here.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Benito1983 View Post
What's wrong with me?
You're addicted to alcohol.

There is a path to happy sober living. Let's find yours.

Welcome to SR.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 03-02-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Benito

I was rock bottom too until I decided I wanted to stop drinking. Im on 16 days alcohol free and never been happier. You can do this and SR will help you xxx
Old 03-02-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. In order to get sober you must want to be sober more than you want to drink.

With the help of my counselor and the good people here, I reached that point over six years ago.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! I also lost my job and my condo due to my drinking. I am 9 months sober now and have a cute little apartment and a job in my career field. Things can and DO get better if you put down the drink and choose recovery!
Old 03-02-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Thing will improve as long as you manage to stop picking up the first drink.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Benito
Old 03-02-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome to SR. Please do not detox alone. You can go to the ER for help and you will be safer than trying to do it alone. Otherwise, call someone who will be by your side. Let us know how you are doing. Glad you are making the start to be sober. We are here for you. ♡ CR
Old 03-02-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Benito, there is nothing wrong with you. You are a perfectly normal alcoholic. Not a good thing but at least you know yourself, that's more than most can claim.

Call work and them you are sick, maybe you can keep the job. If not at least you know where you stand.

I know the feeling of just wanting to drink and not think about problems. Drunk is a nice vacation but short lived and the problems don't go away. They almost always fester. I just completed 8 weekends in jail. Every Monday i was so beat down a drink looked good. Guess what? I didn't have one and never have to go to jail again.

I found another job. A good opportunity but it's what I make of it. We have both make a mess of things but as of today the rest of our lives are what we make of them.

I don't think about going the rest of my life without beer, it's too hard and I doubt I can do it. I just don't drink today. Every morning I decide not to drink today. Tomorrow will take care of it self. One Day at a Time. Sober since Dec 8 2015-after 30 years of drinking.

If you think you can't stop drinking read MikeM's threads. He recently quit and is doing very well. No offense Mike but what a mess, I figured he would never quit. There are others like him. Read some people's early posts and PM them for help/advise/support. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2&pp=20&page=3

Nobody gets on these boards for the first time happy and successful. There are some on here for years that seem happy, successful and content. Keep posting.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Old 03-02-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Benito,

It's understandable that things seem very bleak to you right now, but have faith that you can slowly and surely get back on track. Many of us have managed to turn things around and live a sober life.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Benito,

Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking

We are not allowed to offer medical advice on this forum, but I would STRONGLY advise you to seek medical attention/supervision while in the initial phases of quitting. Alcohol withdrawal is a very serious matter and can be fatal. I'm not just blowing smoke: I went through horrible withdrawals and had seizures on two occasions when I was trying to quit, and ended up in the hospital both times. I was lucky in that I had people around me, so I received prompt medical attention; otherwise the outcome may not have been so good. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here Benito....you are among many who have felt just as you are feeling. You are not alone in this & there is help available to you, reach out for it & you will find strength to make a life without the chains of alcohol.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Benito. Your problem is the same as the rest of us here; an addiction.

The good news is you can beat this. I couldn't go more than 48 hours without drinking for just over 20 years. Now I have broken the cycle.

You've found a great support tool here in SR. Read as many posts adn threads as you can to get acclimated, decide how you want your future to play out, make a plan and lean on us as much as you need.

Things can and do get much better as long as you commit.

Welcome aboard.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I can relate to your situation. I actually resigned from a cushy bank job with salary and benefits 10 years ago because I didn't like it and thought it was the reason I was drinking so much. I wish I had gone to the HR department instead as they would have gotten me treatment at no cost to me. Instead, called up drunk on a Monday morning and said I'm moving on. Threw it all away and drank all day everyday for six months.

I have never recovered from that fateful Monday morning and 10 years later, I have nothing. Get help now before you lose that job. You will save yourself a lot of suffering in the future.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Benito. I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with you, but I think right now sounds like a pretty good time to stop drinking. Millions have done it, and I think you can too. Posting here is a great start.