Notices

Finding my legs

Old 02-29-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Finding my legs

Last Monday, I was sitting on my couch tapering and feeling generally miserable. Today, my wife and I spent the day at the natural history museum feeding our brains. Day five has been good.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Keep it going, it gets better.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SweatyHands View Post

Today, my wife and I spent the day at the natural history museum feeding our brains. Day five has been good.
A Happy Queen makes for a Happy King.
My Queen has been happy since I put the plug in the jug.

Keep up the good work.
Some poor souls will never have a nice family life.
Other unfortunate ones had a good family and lost it due to drinking.

M-Bob
Old 02-29-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Terrific SH!

D
Old 02-29-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

There will be good days and bad but as time goes on the good days happen more often and your life in general will improve slowly but surely.

"God promises to change us so slowly we will not even notice it happening."
Old 02-29-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad things are going well.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LOVE the Natural History Museum . . . onwards to Day 6!!
Old 02-29-2016, 09:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Thanks everyone. I'm just finishing up my tea and getting ready for bed. I'm looking forward to tomorrow, as I have a meeting with one of my professors to start working on a plan to re-enter my graduate program, and then I have a session with my therapist after.

Also, this afternoon, in the mail I received an envelope full of very nice notes from my former classmates who are all on retreat right now. It was in fact one of these classmates who forced me to acknowledge how out of control I was on this last bender. I wasn't answering the phone or the door, so he called the cops to do a welfare check. They determined that I was drunk, but not in danger. But, the next morning, I called my sister and asked her to fly out here and help me detox. Sometimes my stubbornness, coupled with toxic alcoholic thinking, leads me to have to learn everything the hard way. Having the cops talking to me outside of my apartment in front of all of my neighbors was humiliating, but it was the kick in the tail that I needed to ask for help, and really work at building a solid plan this time.

So, I'm closing out day five, and looking forward to all of the growth that is waiting for me on day six.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats SH
Old 03-01-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I'm learning to roll with things when plans go South. My meeting with my professor didn't happen today because the campus was closed for community building day. I showed up and could not get in, and instead of getting frustrated, I went and had tacos. My need to be in control and always hold everything together for everyone around me has led to unattainable levels of expectation. And when things fall apart, I used it as a convenient excuse to tell myself that alcohol will make everything sting less. But, a plate of tacos costs less than a belly full of vodka, and I won't spend all day in bed tomorrow with the shakes. Day six was another modest success.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I can't believe that I am on day seven. 13 days ago, I was in a pit of despair, thinking that there was nothing that I could do to make my anxiety calm down. I gave up and decided to put myself to sleep with vodka. Last week, I pushed myself as hard as I felt was safe to actually stick to a taper schedule, and once I saw that I actually could make progress when I sincerely worked at it, the world opened up to me. My sister literally saved my life by coming out here to help me. Her faith in me gave me the ability to believe in myself. Had I decided to go ot alone, I have no doubt that I would either be drunk or in the hospital right now. But instead, I am awake, sober, and looking forward to another sober day tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing so well.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I went to the grocery store today, and it is right next door to a liquor store that I used to frequent. As I was putting groceries in my truck, the owner of the liquor store came out to ask me where I had been. I told him that I'm not drinking, and he replied "Oh, that's good. We were worried about you last time you came in. You look much better when your not drinking." Just goes to show you, we're never hiding anything as well as we think we are...
Old 03-03-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day five!
Old 03-03-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Actually, it's day eight.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My apologies! I only just joined today. Congrats on day eight!
Old 03-03-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SweatyHands View Post
Actually, it's day eight.
SH, do you feel a lot more calm now after 8 days? Good appetite and sleep?
Old 03-03-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I am mostly more calm. I still have periods of anxiety, but usually I can breath through them. When that doesn't work, I have some herbal supplements that my doctor recommended. I am trying to stay away from my prescription benzos unless I absolutely have to take one. And fortunately, I haven't taken any since the night of the last day of my taper last Wednesday.

My appetite is back with a vengeance. I have actually had to be mindful of what I eat, because I have an appetite for more than I can digest in one day. My sleep is starting to get normal. I have to totally exhaust myself before bed, and I still have to read for about an hour to fall asleep. When I do fall asleep, I tend to wake up every hour, but I fall right back to sleep. And when I wake up in the morning, I just get up rather than lie in bed trying to get an extra hour.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

...and I started coming down with a bug within the last hour. I went from walking the dog in the sunshine to a fever and sore throat with chills and body aches. It still beats withdrawal any day of the week. I'm trying to decide if I can rally for a SMART Recovery meeting tonight, or if it is going to be an online meeting in my pajamas tonight.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Finishing up day nine. I'm not sure why, but just knowing that I will hit double digits tomorrow makes me feel more stable. We have plans for pretty much all day tomorrow, so I feel like the mental stimulation will help me tire myself out before bed. We will be around people drinking, but neither event is a "drinking event," so I'm confident that there will be enough going on that I won't fixate on it. But, if I get uncomfortable, we can just leave. Sometimes I forget that as an adult, I can exercise that right. So, if I ever fall asleep, I will be starting day 10 and making a stab at socializing without booze for the first time in months.