Notices

How long before you 'test the water' and be around drinkers?

Old 02-05-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've been avoiding social situations since new years eve and have managed to stay drink free (my personal record). I have no desire to drink when left to my own devices but know I will struggle with socializing with drinkers. How long did you wait before venturing back into these situations? Or do you still avoid them as much as possible?

Jim.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had to be in situations like that for work, so it wasn't really a choice in some instances...

But my general approach was if it felt remotely like "testing the waters" - I didn't do it.

When you're in a solid place, it won't feel like testing the waters, it will simply feel like a conscious decision....

"I'm going to go to this concert even though it's at a bar, because I know that I will be OK going and not drinking, because I have a clear plan and I know what I will drink instead, I know what I'll say if asked or offered a drink, I know that I will leave if I am feeling at risk and I have a clear plan to leave and get home that is not dependent upon anyone else if leaving is what I need to stay sober".

If any of that feels tenuous or challenging or fake or not true for you - strongly consider not going.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Depends on what you mean by "social situations". I pretty much avoided anywhere that alcohol was served for a couple of months. I now have no problem being at events like weeddings, family gatherings etc where alcohol is present. At 3 years plus sober though I still rarely, if ever, go to a bar or any other event where the sole reason to be there is drinking alchohol. I simply don't have a reason to be there. I will eat at a restaurant that also has a bar, but i really can find no good reason to spend any time in a regular bar.

What it really boils down to is how you feel about it, and also ask yourself what your motivations are for going into these types of situations.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think many of us are different. I can be around people drinking without a problem. It wasn't always that way, but it is now. I would say it would be wise to avoid any and all situations that would tempt you.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think around 4 months for my neice's christening and then my first sober christmas at mrs sw

My last real craving came just after I got through everything so cautiously il suggest anything from 6-12 months for things like gatherings & such
Old 02-05-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i failed tests many times.
i dont test myself anymore.
i dont go around places with alcohol unless i have a legitimate reason.
im done playing russian roullette.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies and I wont be doing it any time soon. There's a family birthday party and I won't be going.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am in the same boat as Thomas, we are all different, being around people drinking has never been a trigger for me, now if I did it often that is a different story. My better half and I have been to a couple of taverns as there food is amazing and I was fine, never felt my AV talking at all.

All I can suggest is be aware/mindful, if something tells you to try just one, I suggest you leave, take a deep breath and focus on staying sober.

All the best
Andrew
Old 02-05-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tested and failed very early on, so decided to stay away for quite some time. It was many months before I was able to around alcohol and be comfortable.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me it depends on what kind of drinkers I will be around. Social drinkers? No problem. The old drinking buddies I know who pound down drink after drink? No thanks, I avoid them.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It would be a mixture of both for me, but I know of at least a couple of people who're going who can turn a 'bit of lunch' into a steaming bender and they would expect me to be in on it. I'm not ready for that sort of pressure.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

for me it was until I knew I would no longer struggle, Jim.

I waited until I knew for certain that I preferred being sober and I wanted to live this way.

For me that took a few months - 4-5 maybe.

I worked up to it - I did social things - coffee, movies, pizza - but not anything where alcohol was the central them e or the reason for being there.

Thats not to say that being out with drinkers again was easy either - it was very weird for a while - but I genuinely had no desire to join them.

Now it's just like white noise - I don't register if people are drinking or not

I left those guys who always wanted me to join in behind too. That's not me now.

D
Old 02-05-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I never had much problem with being around drinkers, other than finding drunks obnoxious. But it was a few months sober before I was in that situation, and I felt strong enough in my sobriety that I wasn't tempted to drink by being around it.

I was an at home alone drinker, so rarely drank anywhere else.