Notices

Day 13, and Feeling Burned Out

Old 01-21-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 13, and Feeling Burned Out

I have attended a bunch of meetings, currently working with two sponsors, followed every suggestion, posted my heart out, got a therapist, saw an acupuncturist, got an assortment of recovery books, and I just feel burned out on recovery.

I could not force myself to walk into a meeting yesterday, even after driving there. The books are just sitting. I owe one sponsor a long email, and I just do not want to do this anymore.

I want to have fun, but I do not know how to have fun. In warm weather, at least there are a couple things I like to do. This winter has been horrible. Very tired of relentless ice and snow and freezing cold all day, every day. I take my life in my hands just walking into my own frozen (slick) backyard. Supposedly, I live in a mild climate, but you would not know it this year!

Even if I decided to take a break from recovery stuff, I do not know what else to do. I am not working right now, so that does not help.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

Days like that , I'd go for the f-word.

Fiction sci-fi ?
Old 01-21-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SillyHuman View Post
I have attended a bunch of meetings, currently working with two sponsors, followed every suggestion, posted my heart out, got a therapist, saw an acupuncturist, got an assortment of recovery books, and I just feel burned out on recovery.

I could not force myself to walk into a meeting yesterday, even after driving there. The books are just sitting. I owe one sponsor a long email, and I just do not want to do this anymore.

I want to have fun, but I do not know how to have fun. In warm weather, at least there are a couple things I like to do. This winter has been horrible. Very tired of relentless ice and snow and freezing cold all day, every day. I take my life in my hands just walking into my own frozen (slick) backyard. Supposedly, I live in a mild climate, but you would not know it this year!

Even if I decided to take a break from recovery stuff, I do not know what else to do. I am not working right now, so that does not help.
Sending love before I head to bed silly- you're an inspiration... Thanks for being you.. Chin up X
Old 01-21-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is the time when you need to dig deep and start to learn about yourself and what will make you happy. My suggestion would be to do some volunteer work in your area. This will help you to get outside of yourself and to give back to your community. You will be able to find ways to enjoy life, but it takes some work and patience.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are in very early recovery. Since you are already going to AA and have a sponsor I would suggest you get goong on working the steps. I understand that this life is new to you, when I was in very early recovery I wasn't willing to put in the WORK. I still wanted to do things my way. You should keep pushing forward because you know where your old ways will take you. You are obviously willing to buy all the books and attend meetings, but the real benefits come from reading the books and working the steps. The meetings may keep you dry though. The work you do today is an investment for your future. Try to keep pushing forward. 13 days is a wonderful beginning but you have tons of work to do. Us alcoholics can't rest on our accomplishments, we need to keep moving forward!
Old 01-21-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I felt the same way a couple weeks into treatment. You get completely immersed in it at first. I understand why, it makes sense, but I felt very burned out too and was resistant for a while. Give yourself a little space to think and just be with yourself, but stay close to recovery. You will get your independence back in time.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

On day 13 we shouldn't expect much.

Problem with us drunks
we want it all perfect and right now.

Even with 8 years sober I still deal with it.

Best to look for any little sweet spot that you can find
always remembering to be grateful for that.

Mountainmanbob
Old 01-21-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

SH, you are alcohol free since 2011, and you've recently quit MJ and cigarettes, as your byline says. . .

I have a friend who managed quitting alcohol by "shifting" his addiction to MJ and smoking--
there was therefore avoidance of the underlying psychological problems that he used drinking to manage
those issues are still there simmering under another addictive pattern.
Whenever he tries to not smoke MJ, he seems to fall into depression and anger.

How are the emotions shifting around for you since you quit MJ and cigs, and how directly have you linked this
to shifting from alcohol, and the deep underlying issues which promoted substance abuse in the first place?

Until those fundamental problems are truly sorted, it's hard to find peace.
I found a short course of cognitive therapy quite helpful to dig deeper "under" the addiction--do you think something like this might be useful?
Old 01-21-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

SH, it's okay to take a break from recovery-related meetings and material; it's called mental hygiene. Is there anywhere you can go (mall or museum) where you can just spend several hours walking and window shopping, being out and around people? I've done that myself recently and normally I hate going to the mall. It was good for me to get out of the house and out of my head.

Hang in there, this too shall pass.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 13 volunteering is a great idea
Old 01-21-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I did contact our local United Way. I have always wanted to serve on an allocation panel, and I will starting next month.

Hawk, I am in therapy. It is Acceptance and Commitment therapy, which sounds like it builds on the work of Ellis and Beck. It's supposed to be the latest and greatest, but I do not have the book yet.

I am going to take it easy today and just focus on what needs to be done at home.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My two favorite DOC were smoking cigarettes and drinking. My AV would beg and plead with me to drink or smoke to cure anxiety/depression during the first 3 months. Good news is that urges come and go. Bad news is somes days i felt schizophrenic and argued myself not to get a drink or smoke. Its still early for you. Take care of yourself.
When i quit smoking i at carrots and celery. I drank a lot of ice cold water. Also there is a great breathing app called Calm. This helped me notice clean air i was breathing in and out.
Satisfying my senses and one day at a time. I enjoyed acupuncture also. It was calming. Glad you are here Sillyhuman

Here is a forum full of things to do.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 01-22-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on 13 days, my advice would be to ease up bit...what you're doing is great, but remember the goal is to stop drinking and there is no wrong... perhaps more naps or other activities like on-line university classes or a new hobby... MORE NAPS, repair your body, I was exhausted the first two weeks and did that and it really helped...stay strong, you have built the foundation of 2 weeks to grow on, that was HUGE for me... best to your continued success.