Notices

Setting an example

Old 01-05-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Setting an example

So I mentioned in another thread how a friend of mine last week was buying drinks and putting them on the table in front of me when we were at the pub (I gave them away to someone else and stuck to soda). Eventually, as he got more drunk that night, he admitted he wanted me to drink again because otherwise it made him wonder about his own drinking. He really hadn't been handling my 7 months sober at all well.

I had morning coffee with him today, and he told me he hasn't had a drink in 5 days, including when out at a pub last night (which is unheard of for him), and while he hasn't made the step of being ready to give up completely, he wants to cut down to only drinking once or twice a week. This after he realised he'd been drinking every day for a very, very long time.

I don't know how long his moderation is going to last, but the fact he's begun looking at his drinking at all is a massive first step.

Just wanted to share this here. For those of us who were known by our friends for liking a drink, the fact that we've stopped can potentially have a bit of a domino effect. Have to admit, I'm feeling pretty happy about this
Old 01-05-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your friend continues his sobriety.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I have a friend too who wants to follow suit. And I'd like to see him do that because he has high BP and other risk factors for diabetes and stroke. Alcohol can't do him any good.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I hope your friend continues his sobriety.
Yes, so do I. He's a kind hearted person, and always a good natured drunk, but has been an alcoholic for so many years I really didn't expect him to start to question it. SoberinSyracuse could be describing him as well, and our daughters are friends, so I really, really hope he can make a permanent change. I don't believe for a minute that he can successfully moderate, but he'll need to try and fail at that before considering the bigger step of quitting for good.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing OpenTuning!!
Old 01-05-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post! I too have a very dear friend whom I would love to see quit drinking. She is my age (50) and has been a heavy drinker for years (oh, the drinking stories we have, which aren't pretty). To all outward appearances she has a great life of privilege and has not suffered any serious repercussions (yet) from her drinking. She has family issues not related to drinking, and sees her liquor and prescription pill bottles as her coping mechanisms. Copious amounts of bourbon, Adderal, Ambien, Xanax, and Pristique flowing through her system on a daily/nightly basis worries me, obviously! She has yet to be concerned with her substance abuse. Its very disheartening to me, and I have discussed the dangers of mixing with her, but there is really nothing I can do.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent