Notices

Focus

Old 01-02-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Focus

Happy New Year all -

I got to spend a lovely, chill evening reflecting and realized that for 2016 I would like to deepen my recovery by building up my ability to focus and/or be present.

3 years in I am noticing that I still have periods of looping thoughts that I just can't shake. People joke that I am the 'absent minded professor' - and it is true, my mind just wanders all over the place. No joke, I quit smoking on 3 separate occasions because I 'forgot' to smoke, only realizing later that I had quit. I think I would be a lot happier if I could quiet the mind....

I would like to develop a practice of mindfulness, but gosh I don't know how to get started.

Have any of you worked on developing focus/presence/mindfulness? What challenges did you run into and how did you move through them?

Thank you!
Old 01-02-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Serene,

At the end of last spring, I began tai chi classes. The marriage of movement and meditation has proven helpful to me. Before it became utterly frigid here, I also went out onto my balcony and meditated before bedtime. I need to find a substitute for the balcony.

There are times I find myself fearful of the damage done. But I have great hope in our abilities to regain. I'm going to go and find a TED talk I just shared with SoberWolf. It focuses on rebuilding -- not so much technique, but more about how it is possible for our brains.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Here you go:

https://www.ted.com/talks/sandrine_t...ow?language=en
Old 01-02-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Venecia, that is a really good Ted Talk.

It's what we've been saying, no? Learn something new, watch out for stress, exercise, eat well. I've been an intermittent faster for years, too. It's the only way I can keep my calories in check.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

There's a good book called wherever you are there you go by Jon Kabat Zinn

If I do notice my mind wandering especially while meditating I simply forgive myself and bring it back with my breath

I'm trying to pay attention on purpose & not let my mind wander breathing exercises really help as does meditation
Old 01-02-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here is a link I found some time ago, maybe some of this will help you, I learned Mindfulness while in a 28 day treatment program, like anything it takes work but it does become easier. We slip sometimes, for example I am driving down the highway, I know the speed limit is 100k, all of a sudden I look down and see I am doing 120k, to me I wasn't being mindful, maybe not the best example. I can give you an example from today, I am a hobby woodworker and have a massive shop set up that has to be moved as it's located on a farm where I worked, lost that job Dec 23rd which is another story but do to a relapse, I was going to go to the shop this morning and start getting things ready, I had to be mindful and play the tape through and be very mindful of what emotions or feelings I may get from doing that, I am not doing it today, far too many memories in there, yes it has to be done but I am mindful I am not ready mentally and I will not let anything get in my way of recovery. So the plan now is a walk with my dog and my better half (GF) will be here later this afternoon which will be excellent.

Anyhow see what you think

http://alcoholrehab.com/addiction-re...ness-recovery/

All the best Andrew
Old 01-02-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Happy New Year SereneEdition!!
Old 01-03-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your recommendations. Really helpful.

Yes, I definitely believe that meditation can have to help with brain development/neural pathway regrowth. My personal experience with brain recovery over the past 3 years is very much in line with this newer science that supports the adaptability of our brain.

SW - doesn't look like that author has kindle books avail. Do you know where I might find his work digitally? looks like a great book from the Amazon reviews...

ALinNS - I completely relate to your example of speeding. In fact, everyone one of my speeding tickets were exactly the situation that you described. One time I even tailgated a hwy patrol while I was lost in thought. He was so pissed. lol.

I've tried a few zen sessions, and can use the breath, but my mind wanders after just 5 seconds and I haven't gotten a lot of benefit out of my sessions... I am going to try walking & breathing to see if that helps me calm my way into meditation. Walking is one of my favorite activities for calming down/refocusing.

How can you tell if it is starting to work? What do you notice from practicing mindfulness in the beginning?

I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday
Old 01-03-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know others have more experience with this to share, but here is what I have seen in myself. You asked about early results...I think longer term results must be more complex and richer, but I am new to mindfulness, too.

I do an technique called following the breath. YouTube has a lot of great talks and guided meditations. So do sites for fragrantheart and buddhanet.

I immediately noticed, even the first or second day, that after meditating before work, I found it easier to focus on tasks at hand for hours after.

To me it is weird...the results I see still seem strangely out of proportion to the meditation exercise. As if I had discovered that when I trim my left pinky fingernail, my work performance and personal satisfaction increase. I don't mean that in a superstitious sense...I just mean that the breath meditation exercise is so simple and so NON-directive, it surprises me it has any effect at all, and the effect is large in proportion.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like podcasts. Audio Darma has been very helpful for me. I meditate :20 each day. I see a difference in my thinking and my everyday patience. "What The Buddha Taught" is a good book available electronically.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, Serene. Books and talks will support your practice, but dont let them substitute the actual sitting. I like an app called Insight Timer which allows one to set a time for sitting and has bells for the beginning and end of the practice. The app has a lot of guided meditations as well which really help in the beginning.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Serene- You sound exactly like me!

Yin yoga has helped me tremendously. I go to classes but there are apps that a friend of mine uses... Since it involves both physical and mental processes, yin yoga really works to calm a person's mind down.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks all!

I typed a longer post this morning, but lost it. This thread has helped me get started in a big way. Thank you.